All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20180428_200355_001.jpg
    20180428_200355_001.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
  • 20180428_200407.jpg
    20180428_200407.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
Well it was affixed to something at one time. Maybe even an embellishment to a Bible cover? My GUESS it's late 19th to early 20th century. Do you know if it's made by either a stamped or cast method?. Could have ever fallen off a casket as it was carried out of the church :dontknow:

Attachments

• holy_cross_grande.jpg
    holy_cross_grande.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Upvote 0
How do I tell stamped or cast? Thanks

Upvote 0
How do I tell stamped or cast? Thanks
Well looking again at it, I'm thinking it's a casted metal, based on how heavy and thick it is. Stamping would be a thin sheet of metal that's formed cold and punched with a die. Casting is hot molten metal, poured into a mold. It looks brass, but it isn't very oxidized and green with being in the ground very long I'm thinking. Ya any good at cleaning it carefully, meaning don't scrub the heck out of it with a Brillo pad. Maybe use some dish soap, water and scrub it some with a toothbrush and rub it some with a soft cloth. Maybe you'll find some markings that help identifying more about it?

Upvote 0
With the 2 holes im thinking it was on something like a Bible as Tamrock stated.. Ive seen SOME crosses with a chain connected on each side as various jewelry pieces however not that big... interesting

Upvote 0
Well it was affixed to something at one time. Maybe even an embellishment to a Bible cover? My GUESS it's late 19th to early 20th century. Do you know if it's made by either a stamped or cast method?. Could have ever fallen off a casket as it was carried out of the church :dontknow:
Agreed, circa 1900.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back