What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Cross help

pepperj

Diamond Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
52,259
Reaction score
207,197
Golden Thread
1
Location
Eastern Ontario Canada
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this cross yesterday at a permission
I haven't any idea of age, or what religion it's associated with.
Any help would be appreciated.
I like to give it to the family's son as he's really into putting crosses up on the property and this was from his tree farm section.
Those coins are LCs for size reference.
Best I could get details up on the cross.
Resized_temp_share_329241089680755.webp
Resized_temp_share_329186067033276.webp
20230817_085926.webp
 
Found this cross yesterday at a permission
I haven't any idea of age, or what religion it's associated with.
Any help would be appreciated.
I like to give it to the family's son as he's really into putting crosses up on the property and this was from his tree farm section.
Those coins are LCs for size reference.
Best I could get details up on the cross.
View attachment 2099803View attachment 2099804View attachment 2099805
Hey pepper, I’m assuming that’s the cross is
Found this cross yesterday at a permission
I haven't any idea of age, or what religion it's associated with.
Any help would be appreciated.
I like to give it to the family's son as he's really into putting crosses up on the property and this was from his tree farm section.
Those coins are LCs for size reference.
Best I could get details up on the cross.
View attachment 2099803View attachment 2099804View attachment 2099805
Found this cross yesterday at a permission
I haven't any idea of age, or what religion it's associated with.
Any help would be appreciated.
I like to give it to the family's son as he's really into putting crosses up on the property and this was from his tree farm section.
Those coins are LCs for size reference.
Best I could get details up on the cross.
View attachment 2099803View attachment 2099804View attachment 2099805
Hey pepper I’m fairly sure that the religion it is connected to is Catholic.
 
Upvote 1
Roman Catholic is my impression too. I wonder what the point on the top is for.
 
Upvote 0
Hello! This is of course Roman Catholic and I can say with certainty that it is over 225 years old or so. The loop on the top being perpendicular to the plane of the medallion/cross’s face is a sign of 18th century and earlier age. By the 19th century the loop was set parallel to the plane of the medal’s surface (and has been so ever since).
 
Upvote 5
Hello! This is of course Roman Catholic and I can say with certainty that it is over 225 years old or so. The loop on the top being perpendicular to the plane of the medallion/cross’s face is a sign of 18th century and earlier age. By the 19th century the loop was set parallel to the plane of the medal’s surface (and has been so ever since).
Agreed, 18th C RC.
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom