crush for gold or keep for show

tddave

May 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I should crush this up for gold or keep it as a desk piece. A lot of different colored quartz crystals and a lot of what I'm assuming is iron powder on the inside. Pics are of the rock split in a third, pretty decent size and weight. Found it under a trees roots along a dry creek bed on a hike...should I return and pan material under tree? there were a lot of plain white quartz nearby.. IMG_3623.JPG IMG_3626.JPG IMG_3628.JPG IMG_3630.JPG

S

stefen

If you can't make up your own mind, what will you decide to do when others comment?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tddave

May 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simple...take their advice. I'm assuming they know more then me on the subject

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there's gold in it, I'd crush it and recover the gold. IMO, it's not all that "showy". :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tddave

May 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they say gold rides an Iron horse so I didn't clean anything off...pics are not dirt its the middle of the rock, only pic of the outside of the rock is #3 uncleaned.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crush it to see if there's even any gold in it.

Upvote 0

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extract the gold,then display the gold along with a picture of the rock you got it from :)

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Cudamark and UnderMiner. Take a pic from every angle under various lighting, detail when/where you found the rock, then crush and pan - see if it's worth trying to get more. Can more easily display the retrieved gold to show off than to lug a big rock around.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the rock for possible gold as it shows a lot of iron content, more than the white quartz you say is nearby gold is in quartz veins but more in reddish stained quartz than milky quartz, although on occasion it is found with white quartz.I grew up in Julian Ca. and all the gold mines I ever explored, the veins were reddish stained quartz.Explore what type of material, gold in your area is normally found in.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And heck yeah return and pan there, if you get nothing more than a nice hike out of it your mind will be eased as to whether or not there was gold there.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions