What's new

Crystal quartz point real? Or to good to be true?

Crystalpoints

Greenie
Joined
Aug 6, 2018
Messages
10
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
RHODE ISLAND
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a 4 inch crystal quartz point I got off the bay..allegedly from an old south east collection
Just wanted to get some opinions if it could be authentic?
 

Attachments

  • 2018-07-18 22.52.27.webp
    2018-07-18 22.52.27.webp
    196.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 2018-07-18 22.54.21.webp
    2018-07-18 22.54.21.webp
    179.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20180718_224214.webp
    20180718_224214.webp
    157.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20180718_223952.webp
    20180718_223952.webp
    103.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180718_224237.webp
    20180718_224237.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
what did you pay for it? ...an unusual point indeed
 
Just my personal feelings here, but I wouldn't have touched it with the proverbial ten-foot pole.
 
I'm not seeing any patina on it.... Be very careful buying off of ebay, constant new made points are sold as authentic.
 
Are you sure it's quartz? Check youtube.com, search "knapping glass arrowheads"
 
Yes it's definitely crystal quartz..the guy who sold it to me didn't claim it was authentic because he didn't find it he purchased it..
 
Welcome to tnet. Sorry can’t help with the ID.
 
I'd say the chances of that being good are slim and none, and slim has left the building.
 
Thanks for the response guys I appreciate it..same guy says he actually found this one 40 years ago..do you guys think this one is the real deal?
 

Attachments

  • 20180723_142445.webp
    20180723_142445.webp
    93.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180720_145046.webp
    20180720_145046.webp
    256.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 2018-07-23 14.35.07.webp
    2018-07-23 14.35.07.webp
    122.6 KB · Views: 100
Just curious, but what did you pay for that first Point if you don't mind saying? I ask because a crystal Point of that size would probably bring a couple hundred dollars or more I would think.
 
I don't mind at all..100 bucks..the other one allegedly is real..I paid 160 shipped for that one
 
Last edited:
I didn't know anything about Indian relics until I met my hunting partner Steve.

Did some thrift shopping the other day and went into one of those buildings where they rented stalls. One of the booths had a tray of very nice points, all looked very spiffy and real. I was looking at the relics and this dude came out of the booth putting a hard sell on me. My "feelings" were that he'd seen some time, and not in relic hunting.

I felt I was wearing mosquito repellent and he was a mosquito.

Didn't get none of my few bucks!
 
Well, for sure crystalline quartz was chosen as a lithic for points and such. I have a few, all small stem types, a triangle or two. I have seen genuine crystal quartz fluted points from North Carolina. But, I do believe I'd be wary of any as nice as the first one pictured here. As far as patina, I always found it tough to see any patina at all on crystalline quartz, but that's just my experience.

Ancient knappers could be very skilled with that lithic. Check out this crystal dagger, found in a Megalithic tomb in Spain just a few years back. The "prince" was buried with this piece, scores of quartz crystal points, and about 20 women to accompany him...

638476FE-4DB4-48DD-A645-B380C29101FD-1926-000000BC7B467F9B.webp

DEEF9F49-972D-45A5-AD14-D08EB7FF6C6C-1926-000000BC7FCF8019.webp

1D776A4A-BA2D-4E0C-84C8-A14A7347B954-1926-000000BC85899696.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom