eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Crystals from Ar & OK

huntress104 said:
beautiful crystals. looks like ice.

It's 'amazing' what is formed in Nature for sure.

Fossis...............

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On our recent trip to Ozarks & Ouachita mountains in AR, we stopped @ a few rock shops just to view the beauties. Met a couple @ the motel from San Antonio who trek up to Hot Springs just to dig for crystals. They were trying to give me some to bring home, I packed a few smaller ones...the big ones wouldn't fit in the saddle bags. But, the nicest thing about meeting folks like these, that once you start talking, the world seems to gets smaller. I thought I was a rock hound, she was a retired geologist from some university and he was retired from the same branch of service as I, plus retired from the sheriff's office. But, when he mentioned a very dear friend of his by name, this same person was on the staff at our state headquarters, so I saw him just about every month.

Those are some nice finds, did you clean them? The ones I have, are still red dirt encrusted. She told me what chemical to use to get the red out...I forgot the name. You have any clue?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

River Rat said:
On our recent trip to Ozarks & Ouachita mountains in AR, we stopped @ a few rock shops just to view the beauties. Met a couple @ the motel from San Antonio who trek up to Hot Springs just to dig for crystals. They were trying to give me some to bring home, I packed a few smaller ones...the big ones wouldn't fit in the saddle bags. But, the nicest thing about meeting folks like these, that once you start talking, the world seems to gets smaller. I thought I was a rock hound, she was a retired geologist from some university and he was retired from the same branch of service as I, plus retired from the sheriff's office. But, when he mentioned a very dear friend of his by name, this same person was on the staff at our state headquarters, so I saw him just about every month.

Those are some nice finds, did you clean them? The ones I have, are still red dirt encrusted. She told me what chemical to use to get the red out...I forgot the name. You have any clue?

That is for sure, when i was in NY city for the worlds fair, (our outfit, the Old Guard) was doing a flag show, while downtown, a shore patrol let a young sailor out of the jeep after sobering him up, he had graduated High school with me in Ar, what are the odds?
I traded for these crystals, & they use 'oxcilic acid' to clean them.

Fossis..............

Upvote 0

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

fossis said:
River Rat said:

That is for sure, when i was in NY city for the worlds fair, (our outfit, the Old Guard) was doing a flag show, while downtown, a shore patrol let a young sailor out of the jeep after sobering him up, he had graduated High school with me in Ar, what are the odds?

Fossis..............
Close, but it is oxalic acid.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rasputin said:
fossis said:
River Rat said:

Fossis..............
Close, but it is oxalic acid.

Yeah, that's it. :thumbsup:

Fossis............

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Oxalic is one option, I think over the pond something that is called "Super Iron out" is available and is popular for cleaning of crystals. :)

Often automotive workshops have some sort of oxide remover - some are quite good and biodegradable! :read2:

Upvote 0

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

Those are some nice quartz specimens. We sometimes find them in North Carolina, along with many other gemstones. Good Luck. rockhound

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rockhound said:
Those are some nice quartz specimens. We sometimes find them in North Carolina, along with many other gemstones. Good Luck. rockhound

I hope to get down to NC some day soon.

Fossis..............

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions