🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back from a beach hunt with a few buddies. I swing a stock Sovereign Elite. One guy uses a CTX3030, another a whites v3i and the other a stock excal II. I get a whisper in all metal and call my buds over. The v3i nothing, the excal nothing even in all metal. The 3030 comes over in stock beach program turns to me and says that's a quarter at 10 inches. 45-46 on his display. 10 inches down we find, you guessed it, a quarter. To say we were all amazed is an understatement. I think I'll get the last laugh though when I get my 15 inch WOT coil. Then again he could always bust out his 17"er. Watch out!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kicking arse and taking names!

Only $2,498.75 left to break even!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... he could always bust out his 17"er. Watch out!

If that CTX was using the stock 10 or 11" coil, then it seems like the Sovereign and the Excal should equally have gotten that target (if you were using the 10.5 " coils).

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that CTX was using the stock 10 or 11" coil, then it seems like the Sovereign and the Excal should equally have gotten that target (if you were using the 10.5 " coils).

I would have thought the same thing, but then I've never done a head-head with my CTX and Excal.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would have thought the same thing, but then I've never done a head-head with my CTX and Excal.

Well, results can be skewed by the skills of the user, settings, etc.... But from my understanding: The CTX is .... really ... nothing more than a glorified Explorer, in a water-proof package. I mean, depth-wise anyhow (I'm sure there's added bells and whistles in addition to the water-proofing). HOWEVER: whereas the Explorer hits a point-of-diminishing returns on coil sizes, at the 10.5 mark, the CTX can, in fact, handle larger coils, and go deeper on coin sized targets.

What I mean is, let's say for example someone puts a WOT coil on an Explorer: It's generally agreed that you don't get coin-sized targets any deeper. You're merely increasing coverage swath, period. Hence the "point-of-diminishing returns". However, it's my understanding that the CTX, when used in conjunction with that 17" coil, does in fact continue to get deeper (another inch or two?) on coin sized targets. Albeit with the inherent drawbacks of going to larger coils, of course. But still, deeper.

So that's why I'm saying that in the listing of the OP's machines trying that flagged targets, and assuming that CTX had the 10.5 coil (or 11 or whatever it is), then it seems that the Sov and Excal (if they too were using their 10.5 coils) SHOULD have heard it.

If not, then the user settings were at play. Sorry to be a kill-joy, but the CTX is not some miracle depth-wise, when talking comparative size coils, with those machines listed.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, results can be skewed by the skills of the user, settings, etc.... But from my understanding: The CTX is .... really ... nothing more than a glorified Explorer, in a water-proof package. I mean, depth-wise anyhow (I'm sure there's added bells and whistles in addition to the water-proofing). HOWEVER: whereas the Explorer hits a point-of-diminishing returns on coil sizes, at the 10.5 mark, the CTX can, in fact, handle larger coils, and go deeper on coin sized targets.

What I mean is, let's say for example someone puts a WOT coil on an Explorer: It's generally agreed that you don't get coin-sized targets any deeper. You're merely increasing coverage swath, period. Hence the "point-of-diminishing returns". However, it's my understanding that the CTX, when used in conjunction with that 17" coil, does in fact continue to get deeper (another inch or two?) on coin sized targets. Albeit with the inherent drawbacks of going to larger coils, of course. But still, deeper.

So that's why I'm saying that in the listing of the OP's machines trying that flagged targets, and assuming that CTX had the 10.5 coil (or 11 or whatever it is), then it seems that the Sov and Excal (if they too were using their 10.5 coils) SHOULD have heard it.

If not, then the user settings were at play. Sorry to be a kill-joy, but the CTX is not some miracle depth-wise, when talking comparative size coils, with those machines listed.

The CTX is FAR from being a "glorified Explorer", but you are correct that the CTX with 17" coil does in fact get deeper coins. Myself and a DEUS user both gridded a farm field where many coins were dug. I went back again with the pro-coil and found nothing. A 3rd pass with the 17 found a quarter (easily) at 12 inches. I know I covered that spot with the pro-coil and it just didn't see it, it possibly resulted in a null target but either way it wasn't dug.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I respect your insight, but, we are all pretty well versed in the use of our machines.As i stated we were all pretty surprised at the result of this little comparo. i cant explain why just what we saw with our own eyes. And we tried over and over, adjusting this and that to no avail. The CTX saw it with no problem. Does not mean i will run out and by one, not yet at least.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bit off topic, but are the CTX's numerical readings more similar to an ETrac or Explorer?
Thanks
Peace ✌

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very close to the E-Trac in one mode, some numbers change quite a bit in another mode.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i'd sell my wife to get one of those if thats true.

Well, if you lived were I do and had the time my buddy has, you're wife would have been sold a long time ago:)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I'm stunned that an Excal or Sov couldn't hit a quarter at 10", especially with 10" coils.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly, I'm stunned that an Excal or Sov couldn't hit a quarter at 10", especially with 10" coils.
Imagine if it was you, I'm still scratching my head. Although my sovereign was the one that found it first, in all metal, barely.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My CZ21 would of got it...the only difference is, I would have been able to tell you "its a quarter at ten inches lying at a 45 degree angle" :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my friends check each others targets all the time to see how the signals differ between machines. We do it land hunting and water.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My CZ21 would of got it...the only difference is, I would have been able to tell you "its a quarter at ten inches lying at a 45 degree angle" :laughing7:
I'm pretty sure my whites beach hunter id300 would have gotten it as well, and loud at that. But it has a 12 inch concentric coil as opposed to a 10inch dd. I can't complain though, my sovereign has found me plenty of gold in the short time I've had it. I'll take coverage over depth any day. If it was all about depth I'd just get a pi machine and dig to china.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread