Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Paul,
I don't have a clue on the hammered as I am in the US, but my deepest silver coin was a well worn Barber half dollar at 12" or so; it was also inclined about 45degrees but was in very rich loamy moist soil. FBS is a silver hound. If you don't have it, a copy of Andy Sabisch's book on the CTX is a worthy investment imo.

eta: you might want to ask this in the Minelab subforum too.

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks I'll check it out ��
Hi Paul,
I don't have a clue on the hammered as I am in the US, but my deepest silver coin was a well worn Barber half dollar at 12" or so; it was also inclined about 45degrees but was in very rich loamy moist soil. FBS is a silver hound. If you don't have it, a copy of Andy Sabisch's book on the CTX is a worthy investment imo.

eta: you might want to ask this in the Minelab subforum too.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I do not think that it will matter how the coin was made, the CTX goes deep.

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not think that it will matter how the coin was made, the CTX goes deep.

Hi beerguy, yeah ive heard off a couple of people that its a deast. I was just wondering how it does on small thin hammered silver like whats it capable of depth wise.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunted with the 3030 4-5 times in England and it was pretty good at sniffing out the hammered. Even the cut Farthings were found using the 3030 so I'd say no worries about it not being able to. A lot of folks have gone to the Deus for its ability to separate and the weight factor. Swinging 5.5 vs 2lbs for 10-12 hrs a day for weeks there's a huge difference on how the body holds out.
I dug this beauty at 10" on pasture.
fullsizeoutput_f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_108.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted with the 3030 4-5 times in England and it was pretty good at sniffing out the hammered. Even the cut Farthings were found using the 3030 so I'd say no worries about it not being able to. A lot of folks have gone to the Deus for its ability to separate and the weight factor. Swinging 5.5 vs 2lbs for 10-12 hrs a day for weeks there's a huge difference on how the body holds out.
I dug this beauty at 10" on pasture.
View attachment 1455784 View attachment 1455787
Hi Pepperj, congrats on the hammie what a stunner. I was thinking about the Deus and don't mean to upset any Deus users. But a couple of people that I've spoken to who have both detectors, the Deus & CTX about which one is better for hammered silver at depth. They both said the CTX has the edge on pasture but the Deus does on ploughed they didnt mention at what sort of depths though. If thats right! then i think i would go for the CTX because alot of my permissions are pasture now, which i could spend year's on. I just wanted to find out off a few more people there thoughts and if they have found hammered silver what was there deepest finds. as for the weight i could always get a pro swing to make life easier. Thanks for the reply it's much appreciated.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Pepperj, congrats on the hammie what a stunner. I was thinking about the Deus and don't mean to upset any Deus users. But a couple of people that I've spoken to who have both detectors, the Deus & CTX about which one is better for hammered silver at depth. They both said the CTX has the edge on pasture but the Deus does on ploughed they didnt mention at what sort of depths though. If thats right! then i think i would go for the CTX because alot of my permissions are pasture now, which i could spend year's on. I just wanted to find out off a few more people there thoughts and if they have found hammered silver what was there deepest finds. as for the weight i could always get a pro swing to make life easier. Thanks for the reply it's much appreciated.

Having used the Explorer series (4 different models) I give the CTX the winner for it's ergo design for weight, but it's still weight, and the abilities of separation/processor. It has the depth I believe over the Deus granted as I was doing a no-till field and dug a large flat button, the Deus just managed to give a decent repeatable sound. Given the flat was a half penny or a tad larger I thought it would of rang up louder even at the depth of 10 inches.
The one thing that I have noticed between the two machines is the fact the Minelabs hate air-so taller grass it's only going to give a response on larger targets. Been on fields that are taller grass or crop and the amount of small and hammered where nil. Also a factor with the Minelabs after digging something and if it's in the disturbed soil still in the hole it won't detect it. Where it seems that the Deus will detect targets that are in fresh disturbed (as in the hole soil)or if there air involved. These are just a few things that stand out, from operating the different machines. (Note I have only operated the Deus for 6 weeks )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread