Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may vary from one municipality to another , but in many towns and cities , the grass (or dirt !) strips between the sidewalk and curb are considered public thoroughfare (easements ) I would go ahead and hunt these , and if anybody confronts you about it , explain to them that these are public easements ( unless they can prove otherwise )

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This subject (curb strips) comes up ALL THE TIME. So a key-word search on any forum will bring you a wealth of views . You're mixing words like "legal" and "permission" that will no doubt be fused with "common sense" and "image".

But let me save you some time. I don't usually tell this to too many people but .... it is I, yes I, that own all those curbstrips in Illinois. As such: I grant you permission. No need to thank me. Just put $10,000 in small un-marked bills in a briefcase, discreetly left in a briefcase on my porch tonight. No questions will be asked.

And post pix of the goodies you find !

OP
OP
DigginDave94

DigginDave94

Apr 15, 2017
Dixon IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so if someone confronts you whats the best thing to say?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding what to say if anybody gets in your business just keep it very simple and brief - inform them that the ground between the sidewalk and the curb is public property ,and like a public park may be used for recreation including detecting.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is public prop. But lets keep in mind, some home owners take great care of the lawn that may be there as they do in their front yard. Put yourself in their place, and think about how you might feel if looking out your window you see someone out front digging into the strip that you have taken care of. I am NOT saying that you can't, I am only saying that, as in anywhere else detecting, good judgement and common sense. I have found a few good things in those strips, but it's always been in front of vacant or abandoned houses etc. It's always a judgement call.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
so if someone confronts you whats the best thing to say?

You mumble stuff about how you are Napoleon. You stand there, slobber, & wet your pants. They will just assume you are nuts, and leave you alone.

But seriously now: ULTIMATELY , if these fears ("what if someone gripes?") can happen ANYWHERE (well, at least at nice manicured turf). And sure: even more-so when you're along someone's sidewalk by their house. And sure, you can sit there and split hairs *legally* with them if you like. Which will boil down into a semantics debate of whether or not your actions constitute "damage" or "deface" blah blah. So this is why in my earlier answer, I pointed out that the question of "legal" simply starts to meld with "image" (practical application of whether or not you're "legal").

There are LOTS of things in life that might be "legal" (like picking your nose). Yet we all use .... uh .... discretion in our timing. So as not to offend squeemish folks.

So choose lower traffic times and simply avoid such lookie lous. Eg.: 5am on Saturdays, or whatever. And if someone still questions you, give lip service about how your wife lost her ring somewhere along this sidewalk the week earlier, and move on.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Get real! I lived in Ill and had a sidewalk. I maintained the grass etc along the walk. If you go digging up the grass I guaranty you will piss off a bunch of people. Personally I would run you off. Illinois is large enough to find another place to dig your holes.
Never mind the picayune details of the law because the law would run you off also. Being a public easement doesn't mean anyone can damage it.

Just thinking of someone digging holes by my house would bring out the worse in me.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let the homemakers get urine off, you have the right to search and dig on curbs. Cover your holes, and good luck.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a public easement or right of way allows you to walk down the sidewalk, but not to dig.

If there is a tree there, can i cut it down? no.

Just ask permission, some people are pricks, but some will let you search their entire property.

It's no fun looking over your shoulder as you search.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
a public easement or right of way allows you to walk down the sidewalk, but not to dig.

If there is a tree there, can i cut it down? no.....

Gold maven, I'm totally an advocate of "not making waves". Avoiding confrontation, etc.... But I sense an implicit tone in the way you portray md'ing here. The word "dig" implies what ? HOLES, of course. Well, fine then: cover your holes, leave no trace, then .... this characterization shouldn't logically follow.

And to use an analogy/comparison of cutting down trees further leads me to believe your characterization of md'ing is "mayhem and damage". Sure, I know you were exaggerating for effect, but .... it's a example that just seems to assume that md'rs are bound to leave damage (holes etc...). If we start with that assumption, then sure, by all means everything you're saying is true. But if we start with the assumption that we're innocuous and leave no damage, then .... the examples and words you use don't necessarily follow.

Not saying that it's still a grand idea for us to go md'ing parking strips, but ... just saying I groan when md'ing is cast in this light. As if: We are of all people most to be loathed for our "destructive horrible hobby".

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It varies. In some locales, the strip between the road and sidewalk belongs to the adjacent home tract, elsewhere it is public property. Its Obvious what you need to do in each case imo. But KNOW what it is when you are hunting so you can assert your rights if it comes to it.

Easement means the land is privately owned as Goldmaven said. Totally different case from public property.
fwiw, where I grew up the strip was Public but the homeowners were required by ordinance to keep it mowed; that created a degree of ownership in the homeowner's mind usually. But it was still public property and I can hunt it if no law says otherwise.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Let the homemakers get urine off, you have the right to search and dig on curbs. Cover your holes, and good luck.

Not in my front yard pal! "The Right"?? What right. I'd bet a cop wouldn't agree with what you proclaim as your rights.
It's no wonder MD people are often perceived as scrounges, sneaky, trespassers, suspicious, and generally unwanted when they seem to want that observation.
A public easement is what a sidewalk is, not a free- for- all to do what thou wilt.
To listen to some here I might expect to claim sidewalk digging is part of the 2nd Amendment.

I feel sad that so many treasure seekers aren't in the same group think state of mind that try to proclaim digging up easements is what being a True American and exercising your Rights is all about.
Seems, for a few MDers It's more about trespass and outright looking for trouble. Thing about trouble is when you look for it you'll probably find it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....A public easement is what a sidewalk is, not a free- for- all to do what thou wilt.....

Ok. Sure. You and I can't do "whatever we want" there. We can only do those things that are not illegal. So ... is metal detecting "illegal" ? If so, then yes, everything you're saying logically follows. But if it's not illegal.... then this doesn't logically follow.

... digging up easements....

If this is the automatic equivalent of the definition of md'ing ? The connotation there is: geeks with shovels leaving a mess and holes. Right ? If so, then sure, you're right, we shouldn't be doing that. But since when is md'ing so loathsome and damaging, that this is the go-to definition ?

YES I AGREE that it's not a good idea to go showing up with a demanding in-your-face attitude. Just like ANY park ANYWHERE, we must not swat hornets nest "flaunting our rights". I agree that md'ing *does* have connotations to the mis-informed. But assuming someone stays clear of any such confrontations (picks low traffic times, knows how and when to do it, etc...) the concept is not inherently illegal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread