Cursed gold ring

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m only writing this because of the things that have happened since I had the incredible misfortune of stumbling upon this gold ring.

Yesterday, quarantine restrictions were lifted for Keith (uscgdavis), so to celebrate, we went out to some sidewalk strips.

I hit a couple wheats, but Keith was finding A LOT (I’ll let him post it if he hasn’t already). When he was all done with his strip, I asked if I could have a go. I’m not the kind of guy to go for scraps, but considering we have different machines, I was curious if the AT Pro could pick up something that the Nox missed. About halfway down the strip, I got a choppy signal. I was 95% sure it was junk, but considering Keith had found some Indians there, it was worth a shot. Boy was I surprised when this beauty popped out of the hole about 5 inches down.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1589162106.912037.jpg

It’s a gold signet ring, commonly used in older times to sign documents. As you can see, there is a signature of somebody’s initials on the ring.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1589162172.223252.jpg

The inside says HWLD. Keith did some research, and found it’s is the mark of Henry Williamson, Ltd. The company had started in 1865, but went out of business by the 1930s. It looks as though they specialized in silver jewelry, but also worked with gold.

I went crazy hearing that. Not only did I find a gold ring (my first!), but I found a historic gold ring.

Then everything went downhill. I found only 2 wheats after that, which I completely get. Sometimes you go cold. At our last spot though, a woman gave us a hard time about how “disrespectful it was to be digging up someone’s property.” When we informed her that the sidewalk strips were actually public property, she got even more upset and threatened to call the city (a battle which she would have lost). Keith and I didn’t want to stay in this conflict, so we dipped out. Things weren’t going so well at this point. My finds had dried up like the Sahara, and that woman had killed our mood. So we packed up and went home.

Afternoon came and some buddies and I decided to go play some beer die out in public (minus the beer, mind you). We were having a great time until the police showed up and told us either to shut it down or get cited for drinking in public. We were a little puzzled, since we didn’t have any alcoholic beverages on us, but they insisted and the future law student in me had already wasted my breath on the crazy lady from earlier. At this point I was thinking “what the heck is going on?”

But it gets better. We decided to go to my friend’s house to drink. I decided to leave my car at my apartment, so I wouldn’t make any stupid decisions later on. I go to his house for a couple hours then walk home, only to find out my car had been towed. Apparently someone in my complex was watching to make sure people didn’t ever park in his spot (didn’t even know there were reserved spots). Had the privilege of staying up until 2am on the phone with the towing company and well as security for the complex because this guy wanted to ruin someone’s day.

$400 and 4 hours of terrible sleep later, I retrieved my car.

There’s more to tell, but I don’t have all day unfortunately.

On that note, anyone looking to buy a gold ring?

Upvote 16

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a rough day/night for sure. It happens to all of us from time to time. If I were you, I would keep that gold ring unless you need the money. Seems like you earned it. :icon_thumright:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring is not cursed...... It's the home owners association ...HOA... gestapos. They're everywhere these days. Enjoy the cool ring!!!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the episode of the brady bunch where they go to Hawaii. Things could be worse.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old signet - its not a "seal" ring though - letters would be backwards - i have found a few
Ive had more than a few of those days over the yrs...it happens - been hunting since 1975
I am firm believer in yin & yang - karma

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the episode of the brady bunch where they go to Hawaii. Things could be worse.
watch episode of married with children when Al keeps getting lucky and then gets hit by lightning and arrested at the end S8 episode 6
Luck of the Bundys

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice ring find :occasion14:, but for the rest of the story...:BangHead:

xfactor

Greenie
Apr 26, 2020
Tacoma, Washington
Detector(s) used
(Past)
Whites MXT, MXT-Pro, MX5, Coin-pro

(Present)
Bounty Hunter lone star pro
Fisher CZ-5
Nokta-Marko Gold Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there!
I too am in Washington...woop woop!
If the ring is truly cursed ..why sell it to befall misery on another poor soul?
...and if you "really believed it to be a bad omen .. why not through it in the lake like in the hobbit series! (lol)
Just funning with you.

I know some people take these things seriously abd if you are one, then, my apologies.
I don't think it's cursed. I think you had a pretty cool find.

I am in Tacoma, which part of the state are you? Maybe we can group detect sometime.

Xfactor

xfactor

Greenie
Apr 26, 2020
Tacoma, Washington
Detector(s) used
(Past)
Whites MXT, MXT-Pro, MX5, Coin-pro

(Present)
Bounty Hunter lone star pro
Fisher CZ-5
Nokta-Marko Gold Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there!
I too am in Washington...woop woop!
If the ring is truly cursed ..why sell it to befall misery on another poor soul?
...and if you "really believed it to be a bad omen .. why not through it in the lake like in the hobbit series! (lol)
Just funning with you.

I know some people take these things seriously abd if you are one, then, my apologies.
I don't think it's cursed. I think you had a pretty cool find.

I am in Tacoma, which part of the state are you? Maybe we can group detect sometime.

Xfactor

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold is a blessing! You just stumbled into a thick batch of Murphy's Law. Congratulations on the beautiful old gold! Love it!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill take it off your hands boy that sucks getting your car towed what a PITA you could just sell it to a gold buyer let him be cursed lol Great read lol

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''anyone looking to buy a gold ring?''

The above shows a lack of education when it comes to cursed items, you never sell or profit from it, that brings the curse back to you.

With that being said I will pay postage.
:thumbsup:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep the ring , it's the only good thing that day ..glass half full better than glass half empty....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions