Curved Piece: RR Related?

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001

Attachments

• Railroad Items3 006.jpg
    Railroad Items3 006.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 301

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is from the rail, it would fit on the bottom of the track, I'm not sure what purpose they serve though. They're called "Track clips" I think. I always wondered what they were used for, near as I can tell they keep the track from being able to slide across the tie.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
NOLA_Ken said:
it is from the rail, it would fit on the bottom of the track, I'm not sure what purpose they serve though. I always wondered, just never actually looked into it.

Thanks. At least I know is RR related. Maybe other folks will figure out the name and use of it. I've been finding interesting things and even flattened coins, which I'll post later.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
knighthunter said:
Rail anchor, keeps the rail from moving lengthways.

Thanks. I found a diagram showing it. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• rail anchor.gif
    rail anchor.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hate driving those things on a rail as a kid. They had a habit of not clipping with the first swift blow of a spiking hammer and would go flying. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
TnMountains said:
I used to hate driving those things on a rail as a kid. They had a habit of not clipping with the first swift blow of a spiking hammer and would go flying. :thumbsup:

Great, you worked building a RR. I have some other pics of RR pieces I found at an abandoned RR way, later converted into a walk/bike trail. I'll like your comments on them and help ID others. I know about the tie plates, but what the numbers represent? I'll appreciate your knowledge.

Attachments

• Railroad Items3 007.jpg
    Railroad Items3 007.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Railroad Items3 008.jpg
    Railroad Items3 008.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Railroad Items2 004.jpg
    Railroad Items2 004.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Railroad Items3 009.jpg
    Railroad Items3 009.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 6-18-11 Finds 002.jpg
    6-18-11 Finds 002.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 197
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bolts were used to fasten two pieces of rail together. It had a 4 hole rounded plate with 4 holes in it. Two on each side. Where the washers went as well. The plate is just marked by size and looks like Rail road co. I worked for Southern RR and L&N. Started on the tracks later became a track foreman then a bridge carpenter and then an operator running heavy equipt like buckrus erie cranes,dozers and high rails. The log or tie handler was the most fun. Traveled all the way from Tn to Chicago 15 miles at a time. Did it for a few years then moved on... :hello: Nothing like the ring of a hammer on steel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
TnMountains said:
The bolts were used to fasten two pieces of rail together. It had a 4 hole rounded plate with 4 holes in it. Two on each side. Where the washers went as well. The plate is just marked by size and looks like Rail road co. I worked for Southern RR and L&N. Started on the tracks later became a track foreman then a bridge carpenter and then an operator running heavy equipt like buckrus erie cranes,dozers and high rails. The log or tie handler was the most fun. Traveled all the way from Tn to Chicago 15 miles at a time. Did it for a few years then moved on... :hello: Nothing like the ring of a hammer on steel.

Thank you for the info. I was told that the number 1940 on the plate was the year it was patented.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread