What's new

Cut LC~~~Not!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
8,838
Reaction score
9,870
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wayne County, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Got out this morning to scout a little bit in the bean fields I got permission for last week. Finds were very minimal again. I did get what I thought was a cut LC. I put it away in my finds pouch after digging it at 4 inches and continued hunting. I found the little flat button ( 16.55 mm ) about 45 minutes later and it was the last decent target. Once I got back to the vehicle, I wiped the LC a bit and saw 1857. I thought that was pretty cool since that was the last year they were minted. Once I got home and brushed it a bit, I can see it is NOT an LC. You can see " unum " on the front and " for defence " ( should be spelled " defense " ) on the reverse with " not one cent " where it should say " one cent " if it were real. It is also 28.25 mm. Not exactly sure what I found, lol. Thanks for looking and your thoughts.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904478.262506.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904504.021234.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904549.449710.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904575.902034.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 46
Hey OldDude ! Google ( Hard times Token ) you will find it ! Must have been real hard times if you had to cut one ! MaineRelic
 
Hey OldDude ! Google ( Hard times Token ) you will find it ! Must have been real hard times if you had to cut one ! MaineRelic

Thanks MR, but it says they were minted from 1832-1844, so still not sure, lol. They did have examples like the reverse though even saying " defence " instead of " defense " so perhaps it is some type of token. Thanks very much for the tip!

There is one listed on EBay as a hard times token. Was an 1857 like the one I found.
 
Last edited:
Thanks MR, but it says they were minted from 1832-1844, so still not sure, lol. They did have examples like the reverse though even saying " defence " instead of " defense " so perhaps it is some type of token. Thanks very much for the tip!

There is one listed on EBay as a tribute hard times token. Was an 1857 like the one I found.
I think you actually have found the 1857/ 37 overdate variety . Nice find ! too bad they cut it ! MaineRelic
 
Thank you very much for that ID, MR! I greatly appreciate your help!
 
I don't know what it is dave but its cool as all he--!
that's a neat/unique/odd find all wrapped up in one coin.......actually 3/4 of a coin lol
 
Pacman approvesunnamed (2).webpit looks like pacman in case u didn't get the references
 
Last edited:
Lol....I almost titled the thread " I found Pac Man"....true story!
 
Awesome! That is way cooler than a large cent buddy. I've never found one but think they are do cool.


image-246257212.webp



image-1660578210.webp

Is this the one you saw?
 
Yes sir it is.
 
Much better than a typical LC...even cut!
 
Heck! A large cent, by any other name, would smell just as sweet. :)
 
very interesting find..detail alot better than the real ones,the lc's I've been dig'n anyways.
 
very interesting find..detail alot better than the real ones,the lc's I've been dig'n anyways.

Yes sir, my thought when I saw what the date was : " What a shame it's cut, cause this looks like it will have better detail than any of my other LC's ". I actually thought maybe this was some type of example coin, but then thought how accurate the patina was, lol.
 
Last edited:
" looks like pacman in case u didn't get the references "......
What the heck....I'm not THAT old!
 
Great Coin for display, Nice find. Bill
 
Super cool find Dave...
Much better then a regular LC..
George
 
" looks like pacman in case u didn't get the references "......
What the heck....I'm not THAT old!

Well............lol jk
 
Sweet find. :occasion14: I think you found the same one I found earlier this year.

013.webp 014.webp

I think the cut one you found is much cooler. Gives it character.
 
Very cool, I'm thinking it will be many years before I see everything in this hobby
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom