Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Got out this morning to scout a little bit in the bean fields I got permission for last week. Finds were very minimal again. I did get what I thought was a cut LC. I put it away in my finds pouch after digging it at 4 inches and continued hunting. I found the little flat button ( 16.55 mm ) about 45 minutes later and it was the last decent target. Once I got back to the vehicle, I wiped the LC a bit and saw 1857. I thought that was pretty cool since that was the last year they were minted. Once I got home and brushed it a bit, I can see it is NOT an LC. You can see " unum " on the front and " for defence " ( should be spelled " defense " ) on the reverse with " not one cent " where it should say " one cent " if it were real. It is also 28.25 mm. Not exactly sure what I found, lol. Thanks for looking and your thoughts.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904478.262506.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904504.021234.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904549.449710.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904575.902034.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 23
Great find! I would love to know the story behind it and why it was cut! Very nice :icon_thumleft:

Yeah, me too Dave. When I saw the date before I realized it wasn't an LC, I thought perhaps it was cut because the U.S. adopted small cents ( the flying eagle and then IH's ) and someone decided to take this one out of circulation. Now that I know a little bit of the history of hard times tokens, perhaps someone did it because they decided it had no monetary value since they were minted by private mints and not the US government. Hard to say, but I am starting to like it because of it's uniqueness. The cut itself appears to be pretty old as the edges have the same patina as the rest of the coin. Thanks!

Yeah, me too Dave. When I saw the date before I realized it wasn't an LC, I thought perhaps it was cut because the U.S. adopted small cents ( the flying eagle and then IH's ) and someone decided to take this one out of circulation. Now that I know a little bit of the history of hard times tokens, perhaps someone did it because they decided it had no monetary value since they were minted by private mints and not the US government. Hard to say, but I am starting to like it because of it's uniqueness. The cut itself appears to be pretty old as the edges have the same patina as the rest of the coin. Thanks!
I think it's an awesome find bud! I love anything that's personalized in some way whether it's cut, counterstamped, or holed. I've never found a token of any kind

That's a very unique find.

Pretty cool! Bet someone was trying to pass it off as a a LC back in the day.

What I like most about the find is the uniqueness with it cut and all. I'd be tickled to find that. Congrats.

I dunno, good Ole dave and I are bestest buddies ever, we even have our own handshake lol.....

All kidding aside, cmon up sometime, we don't have a million spots but im sure we can muster up something

Thanks ! I would seriously like to have a get together of the ATP-3. ;) I'm sure it would be a busy albeit fun day. :)

Thanks ! I would seriously like to have a get together of the ATP-3. ;) I'm sure it would be a busy albeit fun day. :)

Better do it soon, lol. Ole Man Winter is knocking. If you ask Chris, he'd say he came today, lol.

It may have to be next year now. Chris was saying today he and I probably will get out next week, but then he has deer hunting to keep him busy. If we get an Indian Summer, I will be available.

It may have to be next year now. Chris was saying today he and I probably will get out next week, but then he has deer hunting to keep him busy. If we get an Indian Summer, I will be available.

That's ok, all I ever get from him is promises anyway. ;)

Pray for some Indians on Indian Summer! :)

Lol what the heck?

Thanks Dave for sending me the link to this thread... a unique find for sure... don't know how I missed this last year.:laughing7:

Awesome find!

Thanks Dave for sending me the link to this thread... a unique find for sure... don't know how I missed this last year.:laughing7:

Awesome find!
Thanks Dave for the " awesome " vote, but does it get a " cute " vote from your wife?:laughing7:

Missed this awesome cut copper Old Dude, Liking It!

LOOKS AS IF SOMEBODY WAS BORED OR PEASED THAT DAY . PRETTY NEET / FIND .

I like that. Would rather find it cut like that than not. Pretty cool find.

Not positive what it is, but I know for sure it is cooler then an old common (for most people) OD nickel. Congrats on that unique find.

The hard times tokens must be in season around this time of year, I just found one yesterday! I also thought it was a large cent except mine has a picture of a ship instead of the bust.

20151115_222043-1.jpg20151115_221959-1.jpg20151115_221945-1.jpg

Cool find, these are much more rare than a typical large cent from what I gather!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back