Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Got out this morning to scout a little bit in the bean fields I got permission for last week. Finds were very minimal again. I did get what I thought was a cut LC. I put it away in my finds pouch after digging it at 4 inches and continued hunting. I found the little flat button ( 16.55 mm ) about 45 minutes later and it was the last decent target. Once I got back to the vehicle, I wiped the LC a bit and saw 1857. I thought that was pretty cool since that was the last year they were minted. Once I got home and brushed it a bit, I can see it is NOT an LC. You can see " unum " on the front and " for defence " ( should be spelled " defense " ) on the reverse with " not one cent " where it should say " one cent " if it were real. It is also 28.25 mm. Not exactly sure what I found, lol. Thanks for looking and your thoughts.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904478.262506.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904504.021234.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904549.449710.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904575.902034.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 23
That's an awesome find! I'd choose finding one of those over a LC.

Thanks Dave for the " awesome " vote, but does it get a " cute " vote from your wife?:laughing7:

HA...she said it looks like a Pac Man!!!! She has no idea how funny that is, based on your earlier responses...

Glad I could give this great find some legs.

Thanks Dave for sending me the link to this thread... a unique find for sure... don't know how I missed this last year.:laughing7:

Awesome find!
You're very welcome Dave. I was surprised when you messaged me and asked about it.
Very cool find Dude!!
Thanks Bill! It was a welcomed find since I didn't have a clue what I had found lol.
Missed this awesome cut copper Old Dude, Liking It!
Thank you PJ. Not sure I have seen a cut copper before or since.
LOOKS AS IF SOMEBODY WAS BORED OR PEASED THAT DAY . PRETTY NEET / FIND .
I still wonder if someone was taken with the token and decided to alter it so no one else could ever be.
I like that. Would rather find it cut like that than not. Pretty cool find.
Thank you GWD. It is my only hard times token still, so I like it too!
Not positive what it is, but I know for sure it is cooler then an old common (for most people) OD nickel. Congrats on that unique find.
You just watch...when I finally do get that first one, they will become so common in my finds that you guys get tired of seeing them lol.
The hard times tokens must be in season around this time of year, I just found one yesterday! I also thought it was a large cent except mine has a picture of a ship instead of the bust.

View attachment 1236426View attachment 1236427View attachment 1236428

Cool find, these are much more rare than a typical large cent from what I gather!

Congrats on your find. That one is definitely a cool find. How odd that they were found so closely to the same time of year!

Now that is a cool find!
Thank you very much Steve
That's an awesome find! I'd choose finding one of those over a LC.
Thanks! After you have found something a few times, the thrill wears off, so I agree completely with you.
That is something I have never seen before. Very cool find.
Given all your amazing finds I have seen posted, that it saying a lot. Thanks!
HA...she said it looks like a Pac Man!!!! She has no idea how funny that is, based on your earlier responses...

Glad I could give this great find some legs.
Lol Dave. Surely you didn't read the entire old thread? You definitely started something when you pm'ed me! Thanks for your interest in an old find again!

I have never seen anything like that cut large cent. I wonder what one quarter of a cent would buy in those days?It's really cool.

That is a strange cut copper token, I wonder why it was done. Nevertheless great find !!
Congrats. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back