Cut out star in a circle

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This star piece is on the thin side and seems to be made of brass. It was found near an old barn, so I am thinking it may be horse related but not sure. I could ‘t find anything similar in the internet. Any thoughts about ID/age? Thank you! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1620630071.009280.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1620630080.580229.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO... "pierced / punched brass Texas Star earring.

Upvote 0

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The way the circle is wider at the bottom reminds me more of a "star and crescent" than a star and circle.
Possible Louisiana or 7th Corps insignia...?
Some context on where it was found might help.
Edit: Oh and don't shine it ! At least not till you know what it is.... you can always clean more, but you can't clean less.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMO... "pierced / punched brass Texas Star earring.

It could be...There is a hole at the top to attach it to something...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
brass will shine up good nice find

Thanks....I am collecting artifacts on this old farm in N. E. to find history for the land owner who probably wants to display it as “old”. I am afraid to try to flatten it as I don’t want to break it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The way the circle is wider at the bottom reminds me more of a "star and crescent" than a star and circle.
Possible Louisiana or 7th Corps insignia...?
Some context on where it was found might help.
Edit: Oh and don't shine it ! At least not till you know what it is.... you can always clean more, but you can't clean less.....

VaGent, thank you..,and I WAS wondering about the change in the width of the band around the star. This was near an old barn in N. E. Interesting that the military insignia was a possibility. Thanks. ..and not planning on cleaning behind the brass brushing I already did but would like to flatten it a bit, but don’t want to break it. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have straightened out cut sheet brass as this over the years, even copper a few LCs even.
Get an old phone book or even a book put the item in the book close to the binding leaving a good 50 pages on either side.
Now take a hammer and strike the spot gently but hard enough to flatten it.

TOO EXTREME!

OK

Take two piece of wood, place item in between the wood, place in a vice slowly screw vice jaws closed.
The item isn't folded/taco'd so a break/crack wouldn't happen and it will be probably be OK. Sheet brass is pretty forgiving in most cases.

But it's your find and call, though there is the annealing process of starting it also but will change the patina look of the brass as heat will do. In the oven it probably might be enough to do the job and will minimize the effects.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Is that a hole at the 12 o'clock position? If so, maybe it was for a chain or where someone nailed it to wood(?)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pepperj;6748469 Take two piece of wood said:
Thanks for sharing your experience, pepperj. I will suggest it to the landowners who will be getting it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Resembles the NOPD badge logo, but the crescent is upside down...

Wow...very interesting! I didn’t know the NOPD looked so similar...except for crescent position! Thanks! CB

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! Is that a hole at the 12 o'clock position? If so, maybe it was for a chain or where someone nailed it to wood(?)

Yes, there is a hole at 12:00 which I assume is the top. Thanks for the ideas!

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks I’m not quite with this being a Texas ranger badge. The circle around the star isn’t even, looking more like a crescent and star which was a common design for cape pins, some of which bore holes in them. Also a common design for corps badges. The piece is the right size for either of those uses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Folks I’m not quite with this being a Texas ranger badge. The circle around the star isn’t even, looking more like a crescent and star which was a common design for cape pins, some of which bore holes in them. Also a common design for corps badges. The piece is the right size for either of those uses.

Thanks, BuckleBoy...
Very interesting!...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread