Cut Spanish 8 Reales

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this recently in a local farm field here in Southeastern Virginia. It's the second piece of cut Spanish silver I've found there in the last couple months. I believe it to be a Charles III 8 Reales, dating somewhere between 1772—1788.

uploadfromtaptalk1428521245526.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428521258114.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428521270241.jpg

Upvote 12

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I hear ya.

It does look silver & not plated, so if a counterfiet it's a very debased one. Not heard of too many of them.

No rule a counterfeit had to be plated and new pewter cast coin would look pretty good. There's lots of pretty decent quality counterfeit silver 8 reales out there too, but we don't see many of those either. There's a webpage with many examples. I'd be over the moon to find a crude struck silver ctft..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG on the recovery, the break is different for sure and as others have stated it could be of a debased one. But either way it's a keeper and congrats on the find.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find. The basic appearance leads me to believe it's quite possibly a contemporary counterfeit. Actually, I think that adds to the cool factor. Many were made of a base metal or some alloy that may have had some silver. Nice find.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. The basic appearance leads me to believe it's quite possibly a contemporary counterfeit. Actually, I think that adds to the cool factor. Many were made of a base metal or some alloy that may have had some silver. Nice find.

No question. If counterfeit it's more like a cool relic with a story, if genuine a damaged coin... still a good find, but ctft is better to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread