What's new

CW rifle butt plate ID needed- ***SOLVED***

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can any of you CW experts out there ID this brass rifle butt plate?
Thanks for your help,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-004S.webp
    MVC-004S.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 755
  • MVC-005S.webp
    MVC-005S.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 712
  • MVC-006S.webp
    MVC-006S.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 649
Re: CW rifle butt plate ID needed

Modern miner, what makes you think it is Civil war period? Was it found on a battle site? I'm just asking because of the screw. Other posters here know far more about Civil War weapons than I do, but when dating furniture for instance, a screw without a point might be a sign that it dated at leasr before 1845 if not earlier. I don't know if this applies to guns where perhaps they used pointless wood screws later on?
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW rifle butt plate ID needed

johnnyi said:
Modern miner, what makes you think it is Civil war period? Was it found on a battle site? I'm just asking because of the screw. Other posters here know far more about Civil War weapons than I do, but when dating furniture for instance, a screw without a point might be a sign that it dated at leasr before 1845 if not earlier. I don't know if this applies to guns where perhaps they used pointless wood screws later on?

Good eye Johnny.
It was indeed found on a CW battlefield.
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW rifle butt plate ID needed

Re pointless wood screws, the buttplate on my antique 1861 Springfield is attached with them, but has only two. This buttplate has a similar shape and fits the CW time frame since they used arms made from the 1820s on. That being said, I cannot identify the manufacturer of the pictured item.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • partm1842springfieldbuttplate.webp
    partm1842springfieldbuttplate.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 697
  • partm1842buttplatenoUS.webp
    partm1842buttplatenoUS.webp
    127.3 KB · Views: 553
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: CW rifle butt plate ID needed

Still researching, but haven't been able to find a 3 hole or one with the overlap piece
so dadgum narrow. This one is gonna kill me!!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW rifle butt plate ID needed

TiredIron said:
M.M.'s buttplate has three screw holes, is made of brass, and had a mild cresent shape toward the toe......
I think its a 1853 Enfield Barnett butt plate. Yep I'd bet a cold one.
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/enfield-1853-barnett-rifle.htm
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/images/enfield-1853-barnett-rifle/enfield-1853-barnett-rifle-6.jpg
TiredIron

Great ID!

And a good close-up of the nipple protector chain in this link you posted, TiredIron. :thumbsup:

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/enfield-1853-barnett-rifle.htm

MM can look at the style of the loops and see if they match.


Regards,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW rifle butt plate ID needed

TiredIron said:
M.M.'s buttplate has three screw holes, is made of brass, and had a mild cresent shape toward the toe......
I think its a 1853 Enfield Barnett Rifle butt plate. Yep I'd bet a cold one.
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/enfield-1853-barnett-rifle.htm
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/images/enfield-1853-barnett-rifle/enfield-1853-barnett-rifle-6.jpg
TiredIron
I would work that area with a screen....there is a good chance more of that rifle is
close by.
tymcmurray said:
They got it, Doug!!!
Here is a link that will give you the schematics to the Enfield (2nd one down).
Looks right to me.
http://cwsutler.hypermart.net/Part.html

You guys are GREAT!!!
Tired Iron,
Thanks for the ID. :thumbsup:

Ty,
Thanks for the great schematics. I'll bookmark that link.

Great job guys, we'll tag this one SOLVED!!!
Ya-hooooooooo!
-MM-
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom