CZ21...does the 10.5 coil pinpoint as good as the 8

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't use the CZ with the smaller coil unless it was on a land detector. Since you are in the water or a beach and using a scoop you don't need to use pinpointing. I haven't touched the button in years. The larger coil is no harder to control than the smaller one and it doesn't float like the White's coils.

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is a bit of a difference in pin pointing due to the design of the 10.5 inch coil. The 8 inch coil has the pin point spot dead on in the middle of the small hole in the coil. For the 10.5, I have found that most of the time the pin point sweet spot is close to the bottom of the oval shaped hole, where the solid part of the coil starts. When I am speaking of pin pointing, I am talking Xing and sweeping the target...NOT using the pin point button ( which I hardly ever do ).

As far as in the water, the bigger coil will be a bit harder to swing due to the simple fact it is bigger, hence more resistance.

I have all 4 coils available for my CZ's, and I have found that 95% of the time, I use the 8 inch coil. For me, that coil is the optimal one.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pin pointing is about the same. Just a tiny bit harder to narrow it down. The added depth is nice though!

OP
OP
lookindown

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoilFisher said:
I thought you were an AT-PRO man lookndown?
I love my AT pro.....my friends CZ21 gets about two inches more depth in saltwater and its got me thinking. I like the AT pros lightweight and vdi numbers when I am hunting the wet and dry sand. The only thing the CZ does better is it gets about two inches more depth in saltwater. In freshwater it gets the same depth. I can only run 5 bars sens in saltwater, in fresh 7 bars.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
lookindown said:
CoilFisher said:
I love my AT pro.....my friends CZ21 gets about two inches more depth in saltwater and its got me thinking. I like the AT pros lightweight and vdi numbers when I am hunting the wet and dry sand. The only thing the CZ does better is it gets about two inches more depth in saltwater. In freshwater it gets the same depth. I can only run 5 bars sens in saltwater, in fresh 7 bars.
I never used a CZ but after i hear and see what every one has to say about them i will be getting one............... Just aboutEvery one that had used the CZ and the Minelab Excalibur liked the CZ better..........So that says a lot for them........

OP
OP
lookindown

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
lookindown said:
CoilFisher said:
I never used a CZ but after i hear and see what every one has to say about them i will be getting one............... Just aboutEvery one that had used the CZ and the Minelab Excalibur liked the CZ better..........So that says a lot for them........
Yeah, I never hear anything bad about the CZ.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is not a brand or model specific question, at the end of the day. Detune to get pinpoint accuracy with any concentric coil. Detune to force the center of the coil directly over the target, bigger coils work just as well. Detune is the key.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
This is not a brand or model specific question, at the end of the day. Detune to get pinpoint accuracy with any concentric coil. Detune to force the center of the coil directly over the target, bigger coils work just as well. Detune is the key.
On a concentric coil i never had to detune to pin point i would just hit the pin point button and the find would always be right in the center of the coil..............

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detune?
Just use the pinpoint button and sweep it once.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
After initial pp, detune by moving the coil off to the side, let go of pp button and press again which detunes the machine, making the target harder to find, no matter it's depth. Sweep back over the target, it will sound off in a smaller diameter, and not as loud. Move the coil off the target once again and let go of the pp button once again and press and hold the pp button once again and sweep over the target once again, by now the machine will be so detuned that it will only whisper on the target at exact sweet spot of coil. Sounds crazy? This is detuning in pp mode with good vlf machines. This is not a big secret that I have revealed. I hope that this is not something new to anybody.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
After initial pp, detune by moving the coil off to the side, let go of pp button and press again which detunes the machine, making the target harder to find, no matter it's depth. Sweep back over the target, it will sound off in a smaller diameter, and not as loud. Move the coil off the target once again and let go of the pp button once again and press and hold the pp button once again and sweep over the target once again, by now the machine will be so detuned that it will only whisper on the target at exact sweet spot of coil. Sounds crazy? This is detuning in pp mode with good vlf machines. This is not a big secret that I have revealed. I hope that this is not something new to anybody.
OK Gleaner i got you that is what i do ................ This might sound dumb but i did not know that i was detuneing the detector ............

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy, I have always and perhaps foolishly called detuning in pp as simply "detuning". I guess that is what it is called, but I am not really sure :icon_scratch:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I don't have the 10.5 but I have the 12" sunray on my CZ7 and I don't even use the pinpoint button. I can pinpoint coin sized targets just by the sweep and beep.

OP
OP
lookindown

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detune with my Ace 250 and my AT pro.....sometimes.....sometimes I dont need to. I pinpoint with the toe of the coil.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Detuning does a great job of identifying those deep RIO's that are sounding off high tone. Another thing on those deep rusty iron objects, they will tend to have a loud beep as opposed to a true coin at depth. A dime at 8 or more inches will sound fainter than a nail that's trying to get you to remove it from the ground and may actually be deeper.

Yesterday I got a nice 10" target sound, detuning the target put the pinpoint right over the spot of the target indication. But it was a loud clear signal. While I knew it was more than likely a nail or carriage bolt much deeper, went after it and sure enough, a 3" long nail bent at 45° down a little more than 10" was in the hole. A dime or a quarter down that far will have a faint beep, although quite clear.

I had iron disc'ed out, but as always went to it prior to digging the target and did get iron hits from a couple directions though the high coin read was solid and repeatable from cross angles.

So I thought maybe a coin in the hole with a nail. Not this time, but that's been the case before and it's great to have several ways of helping to decide on what and why to dig.

I was using the CZ5 with the 10.5" coil.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
Keppy, I have always and perhaps foolishly called detuning in pp as simply "detuning". I guess that is what it is called, but I am not really sure :icon_scratch:
Well gleaner.............. Detuning is the word i went in to a C. Garrett book i got in 1986 called ..the Advanced handbook on " Modern Metal detectors ".....By Charles L. Garrett. ----- IT says... DETUNING -- A term used to describe when a instrument is " down tuned " in order to more precisely pinpoint............................. I read all these things then forget them .......... But in the back of my mind i remember them so i dug out my books for a refresher..................And yes.. detune to pinpoint....... This book is not like most........ it has over 500 pages in it and not a lot pictures but enought......... And not BIG LETTERS TO FILL A PAGE AND MAKE MORE PAGES like a lot of these books have to make you think you are getting your moneys worth..........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
lookindown said:
Is there any difference in the pinpointing....is it harder to sweep in the water?
lookindown... I checked with some friends that live in a diffrent state............ that use the CZ detectors..................... They told me they both pinpoint really good the same................. And they both work in the water the same ................... the 10.5 sweeps like the 8 in the water..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread