CZ21 vs. Tesoro Cortez

drybones48

Apr 20, 2009
Cuyahoga Falls, Oh
Detector(s) used
CZ21 CZ3D Tesoro Cortez
I own a Cortez, my buddy has a Cz21, we hunt at least twice a week, old parks, farm houses,turn of century school yards. The Cortez, using a 5 inch and stock coil will hold its own against the Cz when it comes to clad coins.When it comes to old deep silver, Liberty's, mercs., indian heads, V nickles, shield nickels, its not even close. Over the last 2 years I havent found, but one indian head, compared to his, at least 6. no old nickles,just one buffalo, at 2 inches,to his maybe 4. I passed over a seated 1850 dime, my newbe friend who has not detected but once, found the dime I passed over ,with my own CZ 21, I let borrow. I was upset. Use the CZ21 on land ya cant go wrong. The Cortez is dead on accurate on what it finds,but it aint finding a lot. Take a silver quarter, place a small piece of foil over it. most id machines regester foil, not the CZ, you get the high tone,and the quarter.

First of all comparing these two detectors is like apples and oranges. The CZ21 can only see the foil and not the quarter under it because it only "sees" the top of the target and expect the coil was a bit rumpled which changes the signal too. Add to it that, the CZ21 sends out two frequencies to the Cortez's one and you have more variables. Are you using the same size coils on both detectors? If not I expect the larger coil on the 21 had a lot to do with the amount of ground it saw per sweep and it wasn't "luck" that found the other coins but proper coverage of the ground.

?????

I am unsure what Sandman is saying…… I agree with Drybones that the multi freq CZ has superior see thru over the Cortez.
The multiple freq CZ will do a far better job than the single freq Cortes on deep silver and ‘sees thru’ far better than a Cortez.

The Cortez is lacking in depth, target separation, and see thru especially compared to any CZ so your findings are exactly what I would expect. Hip-mount the CZ and use it for land hunting if you want deep older silver and Indians, it easily outperforms the Cortez as far as performance.

JT

Re: ?????

John Tanner said:
I am unsure what Sandman is saying…… I agree with Drybones that the multi freq CZ has superior see thru over the Cortez.
The multiple freq CZ will do a far better job than the single freq Cortes on deep silver and ‘sees thru’ far better than a Cortez.

The Cortez is lacking in depth, target separation, and see thru especially compared to any CZ so your findings are exactly what I would expect. Hip-mount the CZ and use it for land hunting if you want deep older silver and Indians, it easily outperforms the Cortez as far as performance.

JT
the cortez doesnt lack depth, it all in the operator. and no machine that will detect a quarter at 13 inch doesnt lack in depth,nor digging a pull tab out of a 6in hole with a nickel under it . i see no problim in it with target separation ive been running test with it for the last 4 weeks at a fair grounds and is very good at telling the truth about what it goes over. i think its like any other machine (knowing your machine)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back