dangerous animals of the midwest

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good friend, had a badger disturbance in the middle of night. Went out the door barefooted and in his underwear. Grabbed the only the thing he could find, a 2x4. Well the by some happenstance the badger made a charge, and he swung for the fence. He said he cracked that stud over his head, and he swears to this badger just smiled at him. He said he never has moved as fast in bare feet as he did that night.... Lesson learned, give a badger a wide berth... and don't bring a 2x4 to a badger fight...:laughing7:
aside from bears,the only thing more ferocious I have ever had in a trap was a wolverine

H

Holly_squirrel

NJnuggetpirate said:
centipedes get huge

In prehistoric times centipedes grew up to 8 feet ..... And heavy.... I'd rather take my chances with a T Rex

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggeston is that they transplant a couple dozen packs back east. There are plenty of domestic and wild game to sustain them.

But I am sure glad that we do not have chiggers out west here. You folk can kindly keep them.
Don't want to sound stupid old digger...but...I've honestly never heard the name 'chigger', (slang) for something I'm guessing? Can you clue me in! haha! :)

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I do agree with you that coyotes should not be taken so lightly, them actually attacking someone is very out of the ordinary.

I grew up on a farm and frequently spent nights out irrigating when my only companions were the yotes. I always kept my guard up, but was never threatened. I would say 90% of the time you can easily scare them off.

Now wolves on the other hand are a force to be reckoned with! Fairly sure I would have messed my pants had I been in your situation!
Hello mammoth29 You are probably correct about the coyotes, but like you say...what about the 'other' 10 people out of the hundred? Coyote attacks really are increasing here in Canada...not just 'out of town'...but right in the citys too.
My first thought when hearing the facts of this young ladies death by coyotes was....She was quite petite and she was alone...But!...what was never said to the public was...Was it also "her time of the month"!!?? Just a hunch!

Now the wolves........don't know you well enough to say if you would've or not! :)

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aside from bears,the only thing more ferocious I have ever had in a trap was a wolverine

Totally agree Kuger!....Any member of the 'weasel family' seem to be most ferocious and fearless!!
Just glad they aint the size of a bear!!!! ;)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chiggers are a bug,that bite,and bite a lot....like sand fleas....terrible things!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad Grrrrrr! They are irritable cusses! Met one outside of Bowdie CA, me and my buddy heading for the ghost town and this thing is just off the side of the road ready to take us on, car and all. We just kept on a goin!! The big animals, the pack hunters and the little ones with attitudes should be considered dangerous due to the fact they are....................63bkpkr

Takoda, sounds like you felt like that chicken!

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
...yea,we have wolves in Montana,Idaho,and Wyo. and you can have your wolves...I despise what they have done to the wildlife on our place in Montana....we no longer have any Moose and I have personally watched them kill Elk for fun...We can hunt them now and I will be!!

What does that Montana bumper sticker say? Something like: WOLVES-Smoke a pack today.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In prehistoric times centipedes grew up to 8 feet ..... And heavy.... I'd rather take my chances with a T Rex
That's a good question Hollysnow....if they were around today...all I'd wanna know is...Which one can RUN faster!! the one on two legs...or the one with 20 or 30 legs! :)

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Don't want to sound stupid old digger...but...I've honestly never heard the name 'chigger', (slang) for something I'm guessing? Can you clue me in! haha! :)
Chigger, a nasty no see um bug that burrows in the skin leaving a very tiny hole that that due to their toxin itches like heck... Trombiculidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best defense is to use Sevin dust in your socks and pants, tuck them tight into your high top boots...

Best cure is Hydrogen peroxide soak the area till it foams white, then cover with a salve such as Neo Sporin or bag balm...

That's a good question Hollysnow....if they were around today...all I'd wanna know is...Which one can RUN faster!! the one on two legs...or the one with 20 or 30 legs! :)

try 60 - 100 legs, the little ones are wicked fast now imagine one 8 feet long... :laughing7: and no danger of them being around today their repertory system could not handle our O2 levels...

I had to ask this of a Paleontologist was simply curious but oxygen levels back 65 million years ago was in the 28+% ball park, enabling larger animals with their respiratory systems to survive. Today we are at 21%...
Can you imagine a camp fire in a 28% atmosphere???:occasion14:

Last edited:

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chigger, a nasty no see um bug that burrows in the skin leaving a very tiny hole that that due to their toxin itches like heck... Trombiculidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best defense is to use Sevin dust in your socks and pants, tuck them tight into your high top boots...

Best cure is Hydrogen peroxide soak the area till it foams white, then cover with a salve such as Neo Sporin or bag balm...

try 60 - 100 legs, the little ones are wicked fast now imagine one 8 feet long... :laughing7: and no danger of them being around today their repertory system could not handle our O2 levels...

I had to ask this of a Paleontologist was simply curious but oxygen levels back 65 million years ago was in the 28+% ball park, enabling larger animals with their respiratory systems to survive. Today we are at 21%...
Can you imagine a camp fire in a 28% atmosphere???:occasion14:
:laughing7: BUT!!!...can he tell us...who would win the Foot Race!???:laughing7::laughing7:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I didn't get right back on them Chiggers. When I lived Kansas there for a bit, they were terrible. They would crawl under the skin at the top of your sock, and then the crazed itching would begin. They are a reddish pink color, so it make them very hard to see. I would spray the bottom of my legs and socks with Deet spray and that would deter them.

Last edited:

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I didn't get right back on them Chiggers. When I lived Kansas there for a bit, they were terrible. They would crawl under the skin at the top of your sock, and then the crazed itching would begin. They are a reddish pink color, so it make them very hard to see. I would spray the bottom of my legs and socks with Deet spray and that would deter them.
No big deal old digger :) Chiggers!.. I probably would've called'em nasty little "Buggers" instead! :)

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

holly have you seen prehistoric park with Nigel Marvin he did a episode with insect and he found this gigantic centipede ahaha

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chiggers are a bug,that bite,and bite a lot....like sand fleas....terrible things!!

kuger have you ever been attacked by sand fleas keep your shoes on early spring late winter if you go to the beach ughhhh i was half way near taking a knife to my feet

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello mammoth29 You are probably correct about the coyotes, but like you say...what about the 'other' 10 people out of the hundred? Coyote attacks really are increasing here in Canada...not just 'out of town'...but right in the citys too.
My first thought when hearing the facts of this young ladies death by coyotes was....She was quite petite and she was alone...But!...what was never said to the public was...Was it also "her time of the month"!!?? Just a hunch!

Now the wolves........don't know you well enough to say if you would've or not! :)

i hate how movies like the original white fang and the grey give wolves a bad wrap wolves rarely attack ppl in the Americas its alot more common in remote Russian villages

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
i hate how movies like the original white fang and the grey give wolves a bad wrap wolves rarely attack ppl in the Americas its alot more common in remote Russian villages

maybe so but if you read some of the old stories about wolf attacks in the wild and early America, there are quite a few to choose from.

I will reiterate this, Wolfs just as Coyotes are pack animals, hunt in packs to take down game, have been observed hunting and killing for no reason other than to sharpen their skills.
Will eventually acclimate to the human population as the coyote has, and become ar issue. Do we need to wait for someones kid to disappear like they did in Australia with the dingo before we take this threat to human life seriously???

H

Holly_squirrel

I surprised a buck . At first I just naturally started to baby talk to him, but then he started stamping his front hoof and snorting. So I jumped up on a downed tree and hid behind a standing one... To make myself bigger n put something between us. And I waved my detector around and baby talked , calling him handsome and telling him I wouldn't hurt him.... Lol. And I avoided eye contact. After a minute or two he bounded off, probably laughing at me:)

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chiggers are nasty things, but if you want to see really really nasty, get into a bunch of turkey mites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions