NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger my friend i tlked to some of my biologist friends and they told me its not uncommon for wolves to kill more then one elk so they can use it for decoys against scavengers also wolves have also used it to keep the peace against other wolf packs in area think of it like this me hunting on you land i shoot 2 in a season one for me one for you

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger said it best the 2 legged ones are the most dangerous of all.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJ,this is the last I will speak of it as it is a subject that a lot of emotion based BS is babbled on.Wolves are supreme predators and need a large area to to do what they do...areas where there are not large populations of people that not only depend on the wild game but live on livestock.Coyotes are bad enough,but not capable of killing a full grown cow,or moose....wolves can.The wolves they first brought in were from Canada,and there main food source there was Moose...they didnt even know what an elk was.The Gov. tells you they didnt release any until the mid 90's....I have news....they showed up on our place in the early 90's.They released them before they even went public because they knew there would be a great chance they would be "shot" down in there bid to re introduce them....so,the first animals these Canadians preyed on were the Mosse,because hey,thats what they knew,well the problem is moose,elk,etc like horses have no ability to "see",size,a wolf(which is three times the size of a coyote)is just a "coyote",which they can fight off,right?So they stand ground and fight....bad idea,wolves make quick work,and quickly all but wiped out our entire Moose population in the Madison Valley.Then they started work on the THRIVING elk population that our town depended on heavily for the thousands of hunters that would come every year to pursue........in a mere 20 years since the wolves have showed our elk numbers have plummeted,to the point half the people that used to come to hunt return now,hitting our economy hard.Not mention in hard winters witnessing elk starve because they are staying on their winter ground all summer because they are afraid to go to the mountains.Regardless what you hear,and have been told,wolves frenzy kill,its not any of the BS you have been told.Its well documented,and like I said,I have seen it with my own eyes,just like all this info I am telling you,I KNOW IT FOR FACT,because we live with them,we see it,we deal with them.It makes me sick to read the lies,the "experts",blurp,why cant they tell the truth?Also...by the way coyotes have never wiped out any ecosystem,thats rubbish,as said before our ecosystem was just fine when it was just coyotes(also you should know I am a professional predator control trapper)Wolves have thrown that ecosystem into a whirlwind.........I could go on and on,but wont.In ending I will say,dont beleive all you hear and read about all this wolf romance,its a bunch of propaganda.Come see for your self.It would be like me telling you all about how you shouldnt kill deer in New Jersey because they are endangered.....I know nothing about your deer aside from that we both know they are far from endangered huh?

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fair enough and yes i would like to come down sometime would you be my tour guide =)

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
worst wild animal I have run across here in N.Ga. , was my wife ! Come back late and she will go off like some cheap fireworks !

;D

131416.jpg

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahahaha queensland you have to worry about everything from snakes crocs spiders and dinosaurs ahahaha

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Partner,I am not going to argue with you on here,but no they didnt eat but one or two out of about 25 they killed,and if you dont beleive me,I will put you into contact with the Biologist(I am one as well....:thumbsup:)that watched it along with me...he is from the FW&Parks of Montana....look into it in Alaska...news for ya pard,they are one of the only predators that do "frenzy",kill.#2 our antelope population needs no help what so ever....they are booming,and where did you get this info that wolves dont eat antelope?Its wrong....wolves are not picky.....its made of meat...they eat it.You are in N.Jersey,dont sit there and tell me,how to "live",with wolves.We deal with em year round,and yes,they are an awesome creature,they need to be controlled,and through hunting is how that will be done,and I will be successful....I promise you that....we have a pack that has taken up residence on our place and feeds off our cattle which are our livelihood.

+1 the biggest fallacy I hear too often is wolfs are not a danger to humans. They are pack animals, that hunt in packs, kill in packs, and if they are hungry, and nothing else is available, you will have a new name... Wolf Kibble
Coyotes! Same story, smaller predator, think not... they took down a horse last year, goats and sheep don't have a chance. Family pets and small children, the stories are becoming too common. There was a reason they were hunted to near extinction, a damn good one too!

Last edited:

rock2104

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, predators seem to hunt opportunities and needs. Growing up on the front range of the Beartooth Mountains in Montana, we saw of the many sheep that killed or maimed by coyotes (unless the dumb cusses weren't killing themselves by running into fences), but also a hazard were neighbor dogs or roaming dogs. We had the occasional bear and mountain lion sighting on the ranch, no sheep harmed as far as we knew. Left the ranch in '82 long before wolves roamed again. They have new wolf packs in Wisconsin now, and lone males have been roaming south, just a matter of time till trouble I fear. I live in southern Wisconsin, and it will take one cow getting killed for most to freak out here.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggeston is that they transplant a couple dozen packs back east. There are plenty of domestic and wild game to sustain them.

But I am sure glad that we do not have chiggers out west here. You folk can kindly keep them.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about Badgers? My worst encounter was with a pissed off Badger after trekking around it's den for a while. Dang thing about took my foot off!! Luckily I was in a rather rocky area and was able to leap a boulder in a single bound to get away from it. I would take a coyote any day over one of those mean cusses!

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Badgers not as common as the Coyote or now the wolf, neither of which would tangle with a badger and live to tell the tale. They are one bad day a waiting if you run into one....

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badgers are not going to attack for any other reason than being protective of young(den)or cornered....unlike coyotes,lions,bears,wolves etc.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes are too small. Just kick'em if they yelp at you.
Sorry Sir, but I disagree..."Just kick'em if they yelp at you"...is totally NOT real-life!!
I don't know if coyotes can only grow 'pint size' in your parts...but!
Just ask the family and friends of the young up and coming singer-songwriter who was out for a nature walk on a 'maintained nature path' in Eastern Canada a year or so ago. She was KILLED by only 2 coyotes!!!
Google it...if in doubt!
As for wolves...I've witnessed full grown men running for the cab of a truck in the total dark after bugling till nightfall, (bowhunting) for Elk...They (wolves)called off 'Their Hunt' by howling in our ears..to each other, having surrounded our camp (backyard close!!) but..only after I had lit my 'pre-made bundle' of fire starter to a flame no bigger than your fist did they "call IT off"...no one else had heard the subtle, soft little "faint twig-snap" behind/over my left shoulder in the pitch-black bush while I was squatted and about to 'flic my bic'!!(in my mind I knew it was something putting a foot/paw down very slowly and gently!).... After that (the howling)...I was the only one 'outside' building up the fire! ;)
Not the first..or the last of wolf encounters.
By the way!..I slept well on the bush floor that night, always nothing but my tent.. and thinking/feeling as I fell asleep...the wolves shouldn't be back...and the bears, Griz and Blacks.. they should stay clear for the night too! (Eternal Enemies!!) ;)

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NJ,this is the last I will speak of it as it is a subject that a lot of emotion based BS is babbled on.Wolves are supreme predators and need a large area to to do what they do...areas where there are not large populations of people that not only depend on the wild game but live on livestock.Coyotes are bad enough,but not capable of killing a full grown cow,or moose....wolves can.The wolves they first brought in were from Canada,and there main food source there was Moose...they didnt even know what an elk was.The Gov. tells you they didnt release any until the mid 90's....I have news....they showed up on our place in the early 90's.They released them before they even went public because they knew there would be a great chance they would be "shot" down in there bid to re introduce them....so,the first animals these Canadians preyed on were the Mosse,because hey,thats what they knew,well the problem is moose,elk,etc like horses have no ability to "see",size,a wolf(which is three times the size of a coyote)is just a "coyote",which they can fight off,right?So they stand ground and fight....bad idea,wolves make quick work,and quickly all but wiped out our entire Moose population in the Madison Valley.Then they started work on the THRIVING elk population that our town depended on heavily for the thousands of hunters that would come every year to pursue........in a mere 20 years since the wolves have showed our elk numbers have plummeted,to the point half the people that used to come to hunt return now,hitting our economy hard.Not mention in hard winters witnessing elk starve because they are staying on their winter ground all summer because they are afraid to go to the mountains.Regardless what you hear,and have been told,wolves frenzy kill,its not any of the BS you have been told.Its well documented,and like I said,I have seen it with my own eyes,just like all this info I am telling you,I KNOW IT FOR FACT,because we live with them,we see it,we deal with them.It makes me sick to read the lies,the "experts",blurp,why cant they tell the truth?Also...by the way coyotes have never wiped out any ecosystem,thats rubbish,as said before our ecosystem was just fine when it was just coyotes(also you should know I am a professional predator control trapper)Wolves have thrown that ecosystem into a whirlwind.........I could go on and on,but wont.In ending I will say,dont beleive all you hear and read about all this wolf romance,its a bunch of propaganda.Come see for your self.It would be like me telling you all about how you shouldnt kill deer in New Jersey because they are endangered.....I know nothing about your deer aside from that we both know they are far from endangered huh?

I take this as the gospel truth. Sounds like the same song so many are singing. Wolves are competition for hunters, (conservationists)and the people who rely on tourism from hunters. Teddy Roosevelt would roll over in his grave to know what we are doing to the animals entrusted with our care.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Sir, but I disagree..."Just kick'em if they yelp at you"...is totally NOT real-life!!
I don't know if coyotes can only grow 'pint size' in your parts...but!
Just ask the family and friends of the young up and coming singer-songwriter who was out for a nature walk on a 'maintained nature path' in Eastern Canada a year or so ago. She was KILLED by only 2 coyotes!!!
Google it...if in doubt!

While I do agree with you that coyotes should not be taken so lightly, them actually attacking someone is very out of the ordinary.

I grew up on a farm and frequently spent nights out irrigating when my only companions were the yotes. I always kept my guard up, but was never threatened. I would say 90% of the time you can easily scare them off.

Now wolves on the other hand are a force to be reckoned with! Fairly sure I would have messed my pants had I been in your situation!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
A good friend, had a badger disturbance in the middle of night. Went out the door barefooted and in his underwear. Grabbed the only the thing he could find, a 2x4. Well the by some happenstance the badger made a charge, and he swung for the fence. He said he cracked that stud over his head, and he swears to this badger just smiled at him. He said he never has moved as fast in bare feet as he did that night.... Lesson learned, give a badger a wide berth... and don't bring a 2x4 to a badger fight...:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread