Dangerous Detecting

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I have finally found a decent place to hunt. After using multiple maps i have found a few sites, 2 of which were old schools in the late 1890's early 1900's. both spots are vacant at this time. problem it is slightly ghetto now. kinda thinking about walking around with a 1000 detector maybe should bring some protection? Anyone have any ideas of what to do? maybe go early?

Upvote 0

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wear a bright orange vest and a yellow hardhat so it looks like you work for the city. Also, set up some police tape around your 'work area'. Ok, maybe that's not so practical after all. Seriously, though, maybe try a preliminary 'test hunt' with your cheaper backup detector if you have one, and maybe in the middle of the day, to see what kind of eyeballing you get. Another idea is, maybe get 2-3 other detectorists to go with you. You'll risk losing some good scores yourself, but you'll raise your odds of making it out of there with whatever you find. I bet the reason you are second-guessing, though, is going to be the reason the area is full of good finds. Don't forget to show your finds!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Honestly?
To be safe you should seek a new spot unless you want confrontation.
A Crack Head is always looking for opportunity as well as the street punks.

My advice is simply seek a new spot or take a couple buddies with.
Even with friends you'll still be looking over your shoulder, which is really no fun at all is it? Not for a dirty penny.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the areas are visible from a public area, where others can see you, then you might not need to worry. I've gone into areas that I felt wayyy out of place and I discovered most people are just as curious and normal as anyone else.
Now if it's secluded and you find relics of the hypodermic kind....I probably wouldn't stick around.

Al

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
School yards are notoriously cleaned out, but who knows, no site is truly cleaned-out. I'd go in the morning. But you must first ask yourself, "Am I willing to risk life or limb or really expensive crap for a few dirty wheaties?".

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say go for it Take a few buddies an a few others !!!! Smith and wesson Colt 45 !!!! Chug
If i lived near you i would provide back up!!!!!

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't speak with any authority about such places in New Jersey, but I can definitely say there are places in Chicago where if a white guy with a metal detector was seen prowling around, he would, at minimum, experience wiseass comments, shouting from passing cars, etc... and that's the most benign possible scenario. Worst case, use your imagination.

Perhaps ghettos are different in the Northeast, but here in Chicago, I would definitely not do anything like this for some random spot; making that decision took me about as much time as it takes a major league batter to decide to swing at an incoming fastball.

If you had a hot lead that there was actually something buried there it might be worth the risk, otherwise, no. Not here, anyway. There are places in this city where they shoot and throw bottles at police as a routine matter of course, attack EMS, firemen, city workers, etc, etc, etc... About the only ones who get a pass are the trashmen.

A white guy with a metal detector in a Chicago ghetto would be viewed as someone to rob, or with tremendous suspicion that he was operating in some official capacity for 'the man' and up to no good... and dealt with thusly.

OP
OP
Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
The main reason i want to go is because the school was knocked down about 20 years ago, but was built in the late 1890's. its on the corner of a main area. I have never seen anyone detecting it, ever. I live about 15 min away out of the shithole area, but i guess it could be picked clean. Ill bring my buddies sig and sauer. their always up for fun. Just sux, i think it may be a good spot for some old coins but ill weigh the risks. damn ghettos

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
PokerPlayer said:
I can't speak with any authority about such places in New Jersey, but I can definitely say there are places in Chicago where if a white guy with a metal detector was seen prowling around, he would, at minimum, experience wiseass comments, shouting from passing cars, etc... and that's the most benign possible scenario. Worst case, use your imagination.

Perhaps ghettos are different in the Northeast, but here in Chicago, I would definitely not do anything like this for some random spot; making that decision took me about as much time as it takes a major league batter to decide to swing at an incoming fastball.

If you had a hot lead that there was actually something buried there it might be worth the risk, otherwise, no. Not here, anyway. There are places in this city where they shoot and throw bottles at police as a routine matter of course, attack EMS, firemen, city workers, etc, etc, etc... About the only ones who get a pass are the trashmen.

A white guy with a metal detector in a Chicago ghetto would be viewed as someone to rob, or with tremendous suspicion that he was operating in some official capacity for 'the man' and up to no good... and dealt with thusly.

Hey P Player, I've hunted Douglas, Washington and Union Parks there, no problem except at Union, but me and my buddy were definitely in better shape than the guys who started working the circle around us and once they got close enough to weigh the matter, they left.

I'm sure there may be some spots outside of the better known parks that would rock your coil, but they may be in some truly nasty locations. I always get in early and out early.

So to Dr. Jones, "slightly ghetto" is really not so bad. Downright bullet ridden on the other hand, well, you'll know it when you get there. But hey, there is great gun control in New Jersey, like Chicago, isn't there? So why worry?

OP
OP
Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
yah, thats what im going with. Im just gonna go early and do it. maybe from 6-8. a couple days in a row. Ill just make sure i have back up. Its too tempting of a sight to give up. Hopefully, it wont be a problem. Ill post pics of any finds, if there are any.

thanks everyone

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I don't think that potential for a few coins is worth the risk of my life or having to take the life of another so I would simply avoid that area.

If I was bent on checking it out I would take a few precautions. Take a few friends with you, have at least one make sure they are paying attention to the surroundings. Have each person "armed" with a long handled shovel so it shows that you have some level of protection (though those shovels could backfire image wise for the hobby but that doesn't sound like it may a problem here). And, not lastly, I would be armed with a firearm.

As a firearms enthusiast, teacher, safety officer and big proponent of the Second Amendment I would urge you to really consider the potential outcome of searching this site going in with your Sig. Are the potentials really worth the risk?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lowbatts said:
But hey, there is great gun control in New Jersey, like Chicago, isn't there? So why worry?

Hahahaha, yeah, no kidding. :D

Here, almost everyone ignores the gun laws as far as keeping one in their homes, since there is actually stuff written into state law that someone can't be prosecuted for using an unregistered firearm in an otherwise lawful act of self defense while in their home.

Obviously, concealed carry is a different ball of wax and doesn't (and probably won't ever) exist here in any legal capacity. Plenty of totally law abiding people practice the 'rather be caught with it than caught without it' philosophy, but carrying unlawfully is a Class 1 misdemeanor and up to a year in the poke. No fun. Also, Chicago coppers are no joke. They don't think twice about stopping and checking someone out of they suspect something is 'odd'. White guy + metal detector + ghetto qualifies. I wouldn't want to be unlawfully packing in a situation where I could reasonably expect to be stopped and checked out.

I just don't think it's worth it. Due to an in-law family situation, I presently live on Chicago's legendary Southside- in an enclave that's a wee little dot of rapidly decaying sanity amidst a huge swath of what's otherwise some of the worst ghetto in the civilized world. I live in this stuff on a daily basis and have no desire to travel deep into the jungle for the sake of recovering nickles and pull tabs, or maybe a ring.

If someone said "Hey, go walk around a park in Roseland with your metal detector and I'll give you a gold earring," I'd say no way, so I don't really see any upside to doing it voluntarily, on my own time, when even that little bit of reward is far from certain.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PokerPlayer said:
Lowbatts said:
But hey, there is great gun control in New Jersey, like Chicago, isn't there? So why worry?

Here, almost everyone ignores the gun laws as far as keeping one in their homes, since there is actually stuff written into state law that someone can't be prosecuted for using an unregistered firearm in an otherwise lawful act of self defense while in their home.

Obviously, concealed carry is a different ball of wax and doesn't (and probably won't ever) exist here in any legal capacity. Plenty of totally law abiding people practice the 'rather be caught with it than caught without it' philosophy, but carrying unlawfully is a Class 1 misdemeanor and up to a year in the poke. No fun. Also, Chicago coppers are no joke. They don't think twice about stopping and checking someone out of they suspect something is 'odd'. White guy + metal detector + ghetto qualifies. I wouldn't want to be unlawfully packing in a situation where I could reasonably expect to be stopped and checked out.

I just don't think it's worth it. Due to an in-law family situation, I presently live on Chicago's legendary Southside- in an enclave that's a wee little dot of rapidly decaying sanity amidst a huge swath of what's otherwise some of the worst ghetto in the civilized world. I live in this stuff on a daily basis and have no desire to travel deep into the jungle for the sake of recovering nickles and pull tabs, or maybe a ring.

If someone said "Hey, go walk around a park in Roseland with your metal detector and I'll give you a gold earring," I'd say no way, so I don't really see any upside to doing it voluntarily, on my own time, when even that little bit of reward is far from certain.
Hi there.

For what its worth, I agree with every word PokerPlayer says. Why turn your life into a Quintin Tarantino movie? I Can't see this being the way forward for you! I'd rather go cage fighting.....blindfolded. At least theres a referree.

And think of the damage to our hobbie's reputation if you go around shooting people in the projects, especially innocent bystanders!

It would make a great comedy film though. Especially trying to explain to police how you were trying to protect your penny.

You definitely wouldn't go lonely in prison, if you pulled a stunt like that!

LOL

Rory

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a few parks in Vancouver WA that I would not hunt without some one else to watch my back!!! I have never hunted across the river from me( Portland Or) but I know of a few there that i would not detect alone!!!!

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from the obvious option of taking someone else along with you, I'd say go in the early morning. If this is truly a bad area with drug users, gangs etc... then you are less apt to run into someone in the early morning. They'll be sleeping off whatever they got themselves into the night before and wont be out and about until after mid-day. My friend is a photographer who shoots in urban areas and he had the same concerns with walking around with a camera that was near $3K. He's never had a problem going early.

Chris / LI Digger

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EpsilonMinus said:
Wear a bright orange vest and a yellow hardhat so it looks like you work for the city. Also, set up some police tape around your 'work area'. Ok, maybe that's not so practical after all. Seriously, though, maybe try a preliminary 'test hunt' with your cheaper backup detector if you have one, and maybe in the middle of the day, to see what kind of eyeballing you get. Another idea is, maybe get 2-3 other detectorists to go with you. You'll risk losing some good scores yourself, but you'll raise your odds of making it out of there with whatever you find. I bet the reason you are second-guessing, though, is going to be the reason the area is full of good finds. Don't forget to show your finds!

100 percent agree Find a few buddies to detect with, even here in Vancouver Wa there are a Couple of parks I WOULD LIKE TO DETECT, BUT NOT WITHOUT BACKUP!!!! Heavy gang areas!!!!

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you go, and are mugged, are you going to be crying to us?

I sure hope not! There is a thing called situational awareness. Would you skate on ice that you knew was thin?

God gave us brains, use it.

niffler72

Mar 26, 2010
Jersey
Detector(s) used
BH LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a hood rat myself the best advice I can give is go early when its cold and bring a buddy. I also read this advice in The Urban Treasurehunter, keep a handful of ruty nails and bottlecaps in one pocket. If anyone asks get a demented look on your face and show them your trashure. I've used this technique and it's worked for me. If you want some support drop me a note I'm in NJ.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
LSMorgan said:
Lowbatts said:

Sorry, but I call BS on your overall perception of people in the rougher areas of Chicago. I spent 3.5 years in Gary just across the boarder in Indiana. I have hunted parks in Chicago such as Jackson, Washington, Douglass, and even Garfield without an issue. I hunted all of the parks and some of the schools in Gary, alot of times by myself without a problem. BTW I am a white guy hunting in black areas of both cities. I had one little conversation with some folks at Garfield right after Obama was elected but other than that most of the folks that live in those areas are nice hard working people. I have met some good folks that were genuinly interested in what I and others were doing and some even wanted to get into the hobby. As far as you being scared to hunt those parks, that just gives my buddies up there a better chance to find the good stuff AND it gives me a chance to find stuff when I come back to visit. TMAN...

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
niffler72 said:
Being a hood rat myself the best advice I can give is go early when its cold and bring a buddy. I also read this advice in The Urban Treasurehunter, keep a handful of ruty nails and bottlecaps in one pocket. If anyone asks get a demented look on your face and show them your trashure. I've used this technique and it's worked for me. If you want some support drop me a note I'm in NJ.
"
niffler72 said:
What!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread