What's new

Dating Harness Buckles...

Swartzie

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
791
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there any way to get a good date on a harness buckle? I dug this buckle last week and what I find interesting are the convex shaped sides. Can a harness buckle be dated somewhat by it's shape?

-Swartzie
 

Attachments

  • buckle_a.webp
    buckle_a.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 569
  • buckle_b.webp
    buckle_b.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 447
  • buckle_c.webp
    buckle_c.webp
    31 KB · Views: 355
I've dug iron, small-sized harness buckles like this in sites dating from the 1850s on up through the early 20th c.

No way to know, unless you're digging a site with a narrow date range--and even then, no way to know for sure. I have a few in my CW case that came from camps--but then again, no way to know for sure. But I am certain that they can date back at least that far.
 
Upvote 0
Swartzie said:
Is there any way to get a good date on a harness buckle? I dug this buckle last week and what I find interesting are the convex shaped sides. Can a harness buckle be dated somewhat by it's shape?

-Swartzie

simple answer, not really. See bucks reply,,,
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom