Day off, So I Spent Most Of It In The Woods

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
gtihunt2.jpg

Finally, after 7 straight days on the sub-acute hip & knee replacement unit, I get to go hunt in the woods. The parks have frozen topsoil, so the only way to get a coin is to pop it out in the top 1/4". The woods upper layers are tough, but the relic shovel can still go in deep to the rim. The area I hunted was very dense, so I put on my sniper coil to get in between the saplings. I mostly hunted in the true all metal mode, as I can be near a target and still get a signal. It still gives me a probable conductivity in this mode.

golf2.jpg

Most of the homeless people have either moved to a warmer part of the country, or just found warm permanent shelter downtown in hostels or shelters for the homeless. One brilliant fellow with a lot of time on his hands built this little shelter complete with a hand woven cot. He also had a full set of gold clubs (probably stolen) in his camp. It was also ironic to find a "RENOVATIONS" hard cover laying beside his cot. Perhaps he was going to renovate his place in the woods, but just ran out of time.

goofy2.jpg

I must say I sure got quite the variety of finds today. A 5" signal got me an older style "CHEEZE WHIZ" lid. I remember years ago when the ingredients shown on the jar included anchovies. I guess enough people hated those in order for Kraft Foods to remove them from their product. I also fond a "WANNA SEE MY SPECIAL TOOLS" metal button. You can read into that however you like. :) Finally, I take a break, look through the dense forest and spot a backpack leaning against a tree. It looked full too! Well, I couldn't resist the urge to check it out. I had visions of wads of loot, a weapons cache, tools, jewelry...I went over, picked it up and sure as heck, it had something inside. I quickly fumbled with the zipper, finally opened it, turned it upside down and "OH NO!" A dozen girly magazines fell out. YIKES!!!! I just returned them to the backpack and set it back against the tree.

old2.jpg

I did finds some relics too. A strong signal produced an old rusted ax head, which was had the broken wooden handle still intact. Another overload signal got me one of those old metal plates, and finally a good coin sounding signal turned out to be an old rusted out buckle of some sort at about 6" deep.

woods2-1.jpg

Here's the take for the today. I found about 20 pennies in one small 5' x 5' area, and the rest were picked up in various places throughout the woods. Not too old in the coin department....started from the 40's on up.

And we are SOOOOOOO Lucky up here. NO SNOW! We should have lots of it by now, with very cold temperatures. But not so far, we have been above freezing during the day for the last several days.​

Attachments

• garrett Snow Guy (3).jpg
    garrett Snow Guy (3).jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 258
  • garrett Snow Guy (3).jpg
    garrett Snow Guy (3).jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 277

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Ah!Ah!Ah! I can imagine that guy planning some house renovation while having a golf match in the wood with friends. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John I enjoy your picture stories of your hunts. I have also found hobo camps and you never know what you'll find there. Just because they choose to live free like that doesn't always mean they are poor. I never did find a back pack but did find a scout hatchet in a tree.

Nice finds.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Great post. A friend and fellow detectorist recently found a bag full of golf clubs in the woods, also in there were golf accessories. Probably stolen, as you assumed the ones you came across were.

I always enjoy your posts, great assortment of finds!

Joe

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kool post and good pics. that cot maker may have some military training.that design looks real familiar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread