The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wondering what you all think? I have been researching for a new machine and could not believe that Garrett is the only major manufacturere out there not to offer a VID reading on any of its detectors (correct me if i am wrong). If i could buy an ACE with VID and get rid of those bell tones i would have dang near a perfect detector. Anybody else think Garrett should offer VID machines?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I don't think it is needed. The bell tone you refer to can be turned on or off and usually indicates a good target. Many of us don't use the meters on many of the detectors anyway.

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
No I don't think it is needed. The bell tone you refer to can be turned on or off and usually indicates a good target. Many of us don't use the meters on many of the detectors anyway.
on some models it is the only tone option available...plus with a screen the size of the 2500 why not display a vdi number? The machine actually has a talk mode, wouldn't vdi's be a welcomed and more useful addition than a machine that talks to you? after all if you don't like using them you could still go by the sounds. i'm not ranking on garrett here. i really am impressed with the depth/performance of the ace for the $$$ spent. I was leaning heavily towards a garrett upgrade but was shocked when i could not find a model that offers tdi...hope they offer one soon, i think that there are a lot of people who would welcome this feature

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The-Bone said:
just wondering what you all think? I have been researching for a new machine and could not believe that Garrett is the only major manufacturer out there not to offer a VID reading on any of its detectors (correct me if i am wrong). If i could buy an ACE with VID and get rid of those bell tones i would have dang near a perfect detector. Anybody else think Garrett should offer VID machines?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you referring to designated numbers that some detectors show on their meter?

A metal detector picks up a signal, and after it is electronically processed, it can be assigned either a tone, number, icon, color, voice or all of the above. The matrix the target is in, the oxidation, type of metal and many other variables all affect the final readings. So, if an actual penny was reading as a quarter (it happens), the numbers would be off, the tones would be off, the color would be off and the voice might not be telling the truth.

It boils down to preference to the user. Under ideal conditions, the penny would have the right number, read the proper icon, give the proper audio, produce the proper color and that sweet lady would tell you it was a penny.

So...the ACE will assign a target a tone and an icon, The GTI & GTP Series will assign a tone, icon and a number. You just have to look where the cursor is.

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John-Edmonton said:
So...the ACE will assign a target a tone and an icon, The GTI & GTP Series will assign a tone, icon and a number. You just have to look where the cursor is.
that's what i'm getting at....does the GTI and the GTP series assign a numeric value to the target i.e. a quarter=87 and a penny =55 pulltab=27 nickel=32? when i checked out the 2500 i didn't see a numerical assignment on the screen

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not found a need for a VDI number when the 2500 shows the depth and relative size of the target. The machines I own that displays a VDI number are not as accurate as my 2500 in predicting what your target may be. I have also found that the VDI numbers are not absolute and may bounce back and forth between a low to medium number and a higher number. I rarely look at the VDO number when it is displayed on one of my detectors that has it. Monty

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The-Bone said:
John-Edmonton said:
that's what i'm getting at....does the GTI and the GTP series assign a numeric value to the target ?

It won't give you a number, however there is a scale on the face of the meter from 1 to 12. When you get a target, the cursor will show up showing the probable conductivity of a target, and there will be an existing number there. A penny would have a value of "8".

Attachments

• display-GTI-2500-lg.jpg
    display-GTI-2500-lg.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 308

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, the face of the detector in the pic shows a conductivity factor the same as a quarter, but the relative size is more like that of a silver dollar. That being the case, I'd have to think it is a bent up aluminum can! So, you can't rely entirely on the cursor when experience tells you different. Now if it showed the same and the relative size was less than a quarter or about the same I would bet money it's a coin or silver ring. Monty

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
I've not found a need for a VDI number when the 2500 shows the depth and relative size of the target. The machines I own that displays a VDI number are not as accurate as my 2500 in predicting what your target may be. I have also found that the VDI numbers are not absolute and may bounce back and forth between a low to medium number and a higher number. I rarely look at the VDO number when it is displayed on one of my detectors that has it. Monty
Yes Monty..Is right the display on the GTI 1500 and the GTI 2500 to me also is a lot better than a VDI or VDO number they bounce around so much you have to guess any how i hate them to me the Ace 250 is more accurate than any big number jumping up on my screen the last detector that gave me the VDI numbers is gone i sold it that was a X-Terra 70 drove me crazy give me no screen or a garrett any day.......==Jim_K==

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I personally prefer VDI numbers.. And I don't find them to be jumpy at all. Except if your running TO hot. :icon_sunny:

Yes the sizing feature is good, now add a VDI and I'd be over joyed! :tongue3:

I have found the notches on the GTI jump all the time, more then VDI's on my other machines.

Actually for ME my DFX & Explorer is better at predicting what is beneath the coil then the GTI.
The only benefit the GTI has here is the sizing function. :-*

It comes down to that I know the other two better then the Garrett I admit it but also the info from the other machines (DFX, Explorer) was easier to "understand" I think. (again personal preference)

As you may note VDI's or not is more or less personal preference. :thumbsup:
For me they work better.

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu_citzen said:
I personally prefer VDI numbers.. And I don't find them to be jumpy at all. Except if your running TO hot. :icon_sunny:

I have found the notches on the GTI jump all the time, more then VDI's on my other machines.

Actually for ME my DFX & Explorer is better at predicting what is beneath the coil then the GTI.

It comes down to that I know the other two better then the Garrett I admit it but also the info from the other machines (DFX, Explorer) was easier to "understand" I think. (again personal preference)

For me they work better.
the point is this: why not make a machine that also displays vdi's?..their lack of it may dissuade someone from buying their machines(my next machine WILL have vdi)...as the gti is highly customizable, garrett could even add an on/off feature to the vdi function.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The-Bone said:
Eu_citzen said:

For me they work better.
the point is this: why not make a machine that also displays vdi's?..their lack of it may dissuade someone from buying their machines(my next machine WILL have vdi)...as the gti is highly customizable, garrett could even add an on/off feature to the vdi function.

Yes I understand.. I know my hunting pal would be interested in it also..
He isn't probable to buy another garrett without vdi's as he thinks it will increase his finds. ;D

highly customizable? GTI? :D You should try a DFX. :o :D :wink: :tongue3:
Yes adding a on/off function would work for VDI's.

See Dahut's post here:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,847030,page=1

Detecting News Service
Dateline: Texas

Changes Coming at Garrett

The latest news out of Garland, TX is that Garret Electronics will bring some new features to their famed GTP 1350 detector. In response to demands from customers over their excellent line of hobby metal detectors, Garrett has announced the following changes to the GTP 1350:

- True, non motion ALL-Metal mode
This operating mode is already on the GTP 1350 in the pinpoint function, so bringing it out as an operating mode is no major feat, according to Garrett engineers. This will augment the current ZERO DISCRIMINATION mode on the GTP 1350 and is expected to give an increase in detectable depth.

- Trigger Actuated Pinpoint
This will be a 3-way switch on the hand grip. By pressing the switch forward into the held position, the operator can select the All-Metal mode for operation. By pulling it backwards towards oneself, trigger fashion, the PinPoint/Profiling mode is engaged. Placing the trigger in the center held position, the normal DISCRIMINATION mode is engaged.

- Fourth target ID tone
This will affect the midrange of the detector, helping to further ID detected targets for the operator. Garrett expects to retain their popular "Belltone Coin Alert"(R), what they refer to as "The Sound Of Money!"

- Selectable VCO pinpoint
This will be an aid to pinpointing and the ALL-metal mode. The operator will be able to turn this on or off as desired.

- VDI readout
This will follow the conventional 0-99 format and will be a first for Garrett in recent times, another sign of their constant drive toward innovation.

These changes will require a slight configuration change to the current GTP 1350 detector, but Garrett expects they will be popular enough to warrant making the same changes to the rest of it's lineup, where possible.
"This is good news to the detecting community as whole," says Charles Garrett, company founder. "We will NOT change the quality or superior functionality of our instruments - that will never change. But, I realized that we should have included these things already... so that's what we're going to do. The customer comes first at Garrett!"

Hope this helps,
Eu

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a BH that had VDI numbers and althouigh a fairly good detector I didn't care much for the VDI numbers as I never found them very accurate. I still have a detector in my battery with VDI numbers but rarely ever pay any attention to them. If they help you, by all means buy a detector with VDI numbers. I have been a Garrett fan but have contended all along that they are getting behind in the electronics field. They once were way ahead but haven't done anything innovative at all lately. Saying that , all it would take to catch up is coming out with multifrequency detecting in the GTI series. Or at lest that's what I have observed in recent upgrades in other makes. But, it really boils down to being the best you can be with what you have. Know how to operate your detector and learning to inderstand what it is telling you is half the game. Monty

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The-Bone said:
Eu_citzen said:

For me they work better.
No sir the point is this we are all diffrent i will not buy a detector with a VDI i don't like the numbers jumping up at me . If we all liked the same thing we all would be driveing fords that is the only kind of auto they would make.And then i would not buy one for i do not like Fords......==Jim_K==

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like I said Jim, personal preference. :wink:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope that answers the question 'cause we strayed off subject a bit. Monty

metalmolly

Nov 5, 2008
Detecting News Service
Dateline: Texas

Changes Coming at Garrett

The latest news out of Garland, TX is that Garret Electronics will bring some new features to their famed GTP 1350 detector. In response to demands from customers over their excellent line of hobby metal detectors, Garrett has announced the following changes to the GTP 1350:

- True, non motion ALL-Metal mode
This operating mode is already on the GTP 1350 in the pinpoint function, so bringing it out as an operating mode is no major feat, according to Garrett engineers. This will augment the current ZERO DISCRIMINATION mode on the GTP 1350 and is expected to give an increase in detectable depth.

- Trigger Actuated Pinpoint
This will be a 3-way switch on the hand grip. By pressing the switch forward into the held position, the operator can select the All-Metal mode for operation. By pulling it backwards towards oneself, trigger fashion, the PinPoint/Profiling mode is engaged. Placing the trigger in the center held position, the normal DISCRIMINATION mode is engaged.

- Fourth target ID tone
This will affect the midrange of the detector, helping to further ID detected targets for the operator. Garrett expects to retain their popular "Belltone Coin Alert"(R), what they refer to as "The Sound Of Money!"

- Selectable VCO pinpoint
This will be an aid to pinpointing and the ALL-metal mode. The operator will be able to turn this on or off as desired.

- VDI readout
This will follow the conventional 0-99 format and will be a first for Garrett in recent times, another sign of their constant drive toward innovation.

These changes will require a slight configuration change to the current GTP 1350 detector, but Garrett expects they will be popular enough to warrant making the same changes to the rest of it's lineup, where possible.
"This is good news to the detecting community as whole," says Charles Garrett, company founder. "We will NOT change the quality or superior functionality of our instruments - that will never change. But, I realized that we should have included these things already... so that's what we're going to do. The customer comes first at Garrett!"

For those who might be getting excited about Garrett's "new detector" and didn't realize: Dahut's post wasn't really a news release from Garrett, it was his wishlist for a Garrett detector written as a mock news release.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bah to bad.. I thought it was a news release from Garrett. He sure has odd ways to put things.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Looks like old David got you all again with his phony news release of the 1350. He posted that fantasy some time ago on my Garrett Forum and other forums.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions