Dead Mans Camp article from the archives of the Fairplay Flume 10/28/1880

detroitrc74

May 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dead Man's Camp article from the archives of the Fairplay Flume 10/28/1880

Here is the article posted in the Fairplay Flume from Thursday 10/28/1880 for those that have not seen it. Is anyone actively searching for this treasure? I'm from New York and new to this site. I'll probably never get out there to search for it but this one interests me.

Dead Man's Camp  (1).png

Dead Man's Camp  (2).png

Dead Man's Camp  (3).png

Dead Man's Camp  (4).png

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting article.

Did you ever manage to confirm indentify the names of the people involved mentioned in the story?

Crow

OP
OP
detroitrc74

detroitrc74

May 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen the story told many times on the internet. The stories aren't word for word the same but they all use the same three names. S. J. Harkman, E. R. Oliver, and H. A. Milton. Judging from the article another person reported it to the newspaper. I don't know who he is. Sounds like that person happened to be there when the three came strolling in. I thought the article I posted was going to come out larger. I'm not sure why part of it is a different size either. I saved it as one article and it split into four pieces. It would be nice to find out about where people had claims on the otherside of the mountains ext to Silver Cliff. I'm thinking near Deadman creek. These guys got separated from their group and couldn't make it back when the snow came in so quick.

kysar

Greenie
Jul 31, 2013
Blackhawk Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, whites TM 808
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going looking next weekend for it, I think I found it using Lidar imaging but who knows. If you don't know what Lidar is It is radar imaging that can look through vegetation.

Last edited:

kysar

Greenie
Jul 31, 2013
Blackhawk Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We think we found it! We found a large spanish trail marker pointing to the canyon entrance about a mile away. We searched the canyon and found dozens of indian caves and some man made caves, none were it. On the way out we found a cave with an old door at the entrance. About 15 feet away we found another opening that was filled with debris from a flash flood that was much older than the one with the door. I could only see in 5 feet but we could tell this was man made a long time ago. We also realized that the marker was pointing to the left of the canyon opening not at the opening to the canyon like we assumed. This is were we found the cave that is plugged from a flood. We should be back in a few weeks to dig it out.

GraceO'Malley

Sep 3, 2013
Colorado Springs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you returned and excavate the cave? I have been researching this treasure and am intrigued. Even interested in joining efforts to find the cave with lil to none profit

kysar

Greenie
Jul 31, 2013
Blackhawk Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going back on the 13th of september to dig out the cave and see if that is it. If it isn't we will follow the old trail and see where it goes to.

Mease

Sep 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was interested in you Lidar equipment. Care to share?

kysar

Greenie
Jul 31, 2013
Blackhawk Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the Lidar image San Luis Valley Colorado 1m LiDAR hillshade Lidar is Light distance radar imaging. The reason we didn't dig last time was we didn't realize we might have found it until we were in Buena Vista eating dinner on the way back and started talking about what we found. We almost turned south again but I own a business and had alot of work waiting for us on monday. We are leaving on this friday morning and I will take pictures of both caves and the trail marker we found. The one with the door I think was used either for shelter or storage it had bat guano on the walls but was only about 6 feet deep. The door was old but had a few nails that are modern in the wood so it can't be over a hundred years. Here is a site to get just about any map in the USA. The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

I will post some pictures on monday.

kysar

Greenie
Jul 31, 2013
Blackhawk Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
By the way the Lidar image didn't really help, what looked like a trail on Lidar was not the trail we found and wasn't really close to the one we saw. I should be able to get a picture of at least one of the indian caves while we are there.

kysar

Greenie
Jul 31, 2013
Blackhawk Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No problem, I was not offended. Ill let you guys know how it goes. Not liking this rain we have been getting last several days though. Especially with our flash flood theory.

kysar

Greenie
Jul 31, 2013
Blackhawk Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well we were not able to leave due to flooding, only one road out as of now. It got pretty bad up here.

OP
OP
detroitrc74

detroitrc74

May 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep in mind the entrance you're looking for had to be entered on hands and knees single file before it opened up to a chamber. So the entrance should be small and probably doesn't have a door.

Last edited:

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can firmly state that I have found this treasure, going back in 2 weeks to retrieve it! And no do not ask me the coordinates or which canyon this is in because you will not get any information out of me at all!

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
TH2004-
After retrieving whatever you find, could you at least post a pic of the treasure itself? Obviously without showing anything that might incriminate yourself, the location, etc.!
Thank you in advance.
Justin

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
next week when I go back I will indeed post pics to show proof. thanks

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Any new news TH2004?
Just curious if your endeavor worked out!

Elliott_C

Sep 20, 2015
Monte Vista, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The canyon I hiked into truly spooked the hell out of me, on the way in I saw a bear track and was totally paranoid, had the hand on the gun the rest of the way.

When I was up there last fall, I came across fresh bear scat directly on the trail. Twice. I worried that if I met that bear head-on then Deadman's Creek might live up to its name.

I got kind of spooked, too. Like I've mentioned, if you head up Deadman's Creek but miss the turn to go to the lakes, then you'll run into some old cabins. I didn't know if I was going to come up on some squatters with poor social skills in those cabins or perhaps a napping bear with equally poor social skills. So, I was a little uneasy until I cleared the area. I've had the spooky/eerie/uneasy thing about multiple treasure-legend areas, so it must be a thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions