Deal or no Deal? Anyone familiar with this dredge? (Merced craigslist)

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
CUSTOM 8" GOLD DREDGE

There were no photos in the listing, I haven't tried to contact the owner, probably won't. Going by the description this sounds like some kind of professional setup. On- board jig? Sump off the end of the sluice that feeds the jig maybe?

New hose alone for this dredge would probably cost what I paid for my entire 4" dredge. If it's all in good condition it sounds like a deal. Dono about the engine/pump and jet log though, having to repair/replace those might be difficult $$.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This sounds a little strange, where would you use a 8 inch dredge anyway. I'm not a pro miner by any stretch but this sounds like a nightmare set-up lol. Also love the lack of pics the seller included.

OP
OP
specksandflecks

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure it could always be another scam. The add does list 2 contact numbers though. IMO that points to the listing probably being legit.

I'm no pro miner either, but I have read of professional dredgers mentioning things like remote throttle controls, sumps and jigs.

Assuming the dredge is in working order, a nightmare setup not so much, a learning curve compared to my 4"? Definitely.

Rumor has it there is another class of dredge out there that doesn't have Proline or Keene stickers on it.

Where would one use an 8" dredge? There are still a few places where you can use this size dredge and with any luck there are about to be a few more.

Personally if I had such a dredge I would likely name it Sasquatch and use it to suck up river keepers.

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
sounds like a great machine, has all the right parts and pieces, kinda sounds like a dredge hoser told me about a few years ago.

bill/cr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sounds like a Marty fab job utilized at Coloma on the SF American for a season or so MAYBE. No pics makes it a absolute no and was sold for much MUCH less. He was a superb fabrication man . Jig system recovery not good and IF the same unit they stopped using it due to horrendous losses/convalutions/problematic. Otherwise what a party barge but that big?? what state will allow anymore?? Get pics if possible,I have a vhsc of it running and maybe some pics to help you decide too??John

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I wish I could use it, but not anymore because of me being a F.O.G. !!:) that sure would be nice to run it up the Missouri River and a bigger pontoon boat. I could use some younger guys to do the nozzle work!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen Russ,sit in the shade as had a huge shade frame/tarp. Sippn' a cold one in your barcolounger with your feet up and munchies at your side being hand fed by sum sum sweet young thangs hahaha ME TOOOOOOO-John

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sounds like a older Precision Dredge

OP
OP
specksandflecks

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Appreciate the feedback. Just curious mostly. Always much appreciated to get perspective from those who know.

Maybe this is a case of 'right parts wrong design'?

Agreed Pics would be a first step in deciding what's what, or if's worth looking at in person, what changes need to be made and to what extent the platform as a whole could support needed changes without completely re-designing?

Equipment this size is probably 'out of my league' as fine gold recovery and 8" dredge are probably not something easily combined.

That said I still think there are some 'custom' 8" dredges out there that when done right can probably recover fine gold as well or better than my little 4". Which may or may not be saying something. I simply know nothing of them at this point.

Even with all the challenges that come with running this size dredge, the potential of processing that much material and getting exceptional fine gold recovery opens up a lot of possibility's and is something I've often thought about.

I could see running something like this in mid grade sand/gravel deposits where 95+% of the material doesn't need to be touched. You know the kind where you see normal gravel on the bank/bar then all of a sudden, boom it just turns to sand. The kind of deposits the re deposit every year or 2. Not as exciting as big boulders/big gold though one always has the option I suppose.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It says self propelled 12 to 15 mph..... Is this a dredge mounted pontoon boat???

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty always started with pontoon boat floats and ALL units were righteously fabricated all aluminium and floated fine in any current. Were any pics posted?? Flared sluice or straight. Any make on pumps? All of his 8" fabs were Geo engines with precision pumps as BEST setup ever with vw carbs that sipped gas like a baroness. KF ideas on that setup and copied by many-John

OP
OP
specksandflecks

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe this is something else? The add says VW motor and modified pump? Says power jet and taper flair. I was just a little curious really, haven't contacted to ask for any pics, maybe I should as more curious now.

Damm if I don't know how these things get started, then I end up with an 8" dredge! Then what?!?!? :dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
specksandflecks

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This guy wants 12,600 for his dredge, worth it?
Custom Gold Dredge w/ trailer
here it is in action

Interesting setup with the triple down low like that between the pontoons it all looks almost new, too much for me though. Personally id go with a lightly used 6" 3 stage think I've seen some for about 6-7k.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a 8"-forget boat motor as your own powerjet works much better and no extra weight. Way overpriced not $6k at the absolute most. Side boxes too small. Take a gander at this setup as much better-John

Attachments

• 02-28-2013 07;09;35PM.JPG
    02-28-2013 07;09;35PM.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 97

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Now that this "dredge/boat" has a motor for the "sole purpose" to propel it up the river , is a boat registration required with I.D. numbers on its side??????

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet money that it would. The State always wants it's cut
Now that this "dredge/boat" has a motor for the "sole purpose" to propel it up the river , is a boat registration required with I.D. numbers on its side??????

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

In Calif CF numbers will be required and if he is in Shasta County he would also get stuck paying personal property tax like all the other boat owners. I give the guy props for trying something different though. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
My first thought was the same as John's. They are propelling it with the power jet... Just an assumption though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread