What's new

Debitage ?

Knockneed Man

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2018
Messages
62
Reaction score
128
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Treasurenet experts - does this look to be debitage or natural? I find a good bit of this material in my zone, widely scattered, but not piles or flakings of it. Thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • 1150A32F-E80E-4DAF-A3E5-F54C42E5E32A.webp
    1150A32F-E80E-4DAF-A3E5-F54C42E5E32A.webp
    211.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 457A956F-9E23-48A0-828E-3C21692B00F3.webp
    457A956F-9E23-48A0-828E-3C21692B00F3.webp
    258.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 53D3CDC4-9544-4A6B-B24A-2120E8101F89.webp
    53D3CDC4-9544-4A6B-B24A-2120E8101F89.webp
    251.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 711EE49A-35E9-43FB-9014-49DF1BC0D4CB.webp
    711EE49A-35E9-43FB-9014-49DF1BC0D4CB.webp
    252.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 4ACE1B4B-DAEF-4D24-ADF9-1CC9B40EDF01.webp
    4ACE1B4B-DAEF-4D24-ADF9-1CC9B40EDF01.webp
    240.4 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
Do you ever find it with other flakes or artifacts? Or any artifacts made from the same material? I find a type of flint around here that i think is mostly natural but the natives used it too so I judge by the other things around it.
 
Do you ever find it with other flakes or artifacts? Or any artifacts made from the same material? I find a type of flint around here that i think is mostly natural but the natives used it too so I judge by the other things around it.

No I really haven’t. In fact the only artifacts I’ve found in this area were from a much darker material. Nothing else found around it, but was curious if it might be something indicating a spot. Thank you.
 
To me it doesn’t look like debitage or artifact related

Thanks for your opinion Arrow. I was skeptical it was anything, but since I’ve found a few pieces similar to this I didn’t want to overlook anything.
 
Doesn't look like debitage to me either. I'm used to seeing slivers whether fat or thin when I think of debitage.
 
In Ohio we'd call that glacial flint, transported, fractured and ground by natural forces.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom