Decent George 3 after 245 years

50chevyJoe

Apr 20, 2014
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After taking a summer hiatus for the heat, bugs and ticks I made it back to a fresh cut corn field and quickly dug a 1826 large cent. I thought it was going to be a productive morning but after a few hours with nothing but broken plow parts my buddy George and I were making a final sweep toward the truck when I hit a solid 77. Down about 3 inches was a decent George 3 dated 1775. Not bad for 245 years old. We now have the bug back.
20150921_134721.jpg20150921_134857.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 27
Wow incredible shape for such an old one! Great find, congrats!

Congrats on pulling that oldie. :occasion14: Looks like it's in pretty decent shape. I dream of breaking into the 1700's club .... someday

That's a sharp looking coin, cool find!

Funny how the real ones hold up better (IMHO). Sure some may argue that, but what cannot be argued is the great condition of that coin. I've dug close to 3 dozen kg123's and very few are in that kind of condition. Congrats!!!

Steve

Very nice old copper.

Yes, that is about the best we hope for here. Makes me want to dig!

Very nice! It's in great condition, congrats on the find and best of luck on the return hunt.

That sure is a nice looking old copper

Love those colonials man!

WOW!!!! Sweetness. Congrats! Keep Swinging!!

That's a beauty, congrats

Lucky man! I've put close to 200 hours into that same field and have yet to get a readable date on a copper pre-1800. Close to the car too, ain't that always the way. Where's the half cent?

Funny how the real ones hold up better (IMHO). Sure some may argue that, but what cannot be argued is the great condition of that coin. I've dug close to 3 dozen kg123's and very few are in that kind of condition. Congrats!!!

Steve

You guessed it.:thumbsup: Not Regal in my opinion.
Look at my side to side of Regal/Imitation & see which the OP matches. Also 1775 was the most copied date.

Easy test, weigh it & it will be about a gram under.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 64
PS. In full agreement with all, that the condition is about as good a dug coin you could hope for. I find hundreds of plough dug Geo coins & if I got 1 like that in 5 years it would be unusual.

Nice looking coin. Full date which is always nice even if it is a counterfeit that was made in the 1790s LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back