Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m one of the older detecting guys who have been in this hobby for over 25 years and have used a variety of detectors. I don’t get out as much as I’d like to anymore and I need your help. I’m looking for a detector that will maximize my time out at the best price I can get.

I usually detect schools and parks. When the weather gets too hot for that then I head for the salty ocean beaches and will detect the dry sand, wet sand and go in the water to about knee deep

I’ve now narrowed my choices a White’s metal detector. I’ve compared the MXT Pro with the MXT and found there isn’t much different with the Pro than what I would need. I can save $100 right off the bat.

Now I’m comparing the MXT (regular) to the Matrix M6. Everything looks pretty much the same including frequencies. Can someone tell me why I would pick the MXT over the M6? What are the pros and cons of each? I’ll listen to both sides of the coin here and then make a decision. Thanks for the help.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't much difference between the MXT and M6 in depth or features. I liked the MXT because it was easier to sell because of the different mode options on the screen. But with a bit of experience like I believe you have you can tell the numbers on the screen may not be true. I like the DFX lots better because of the option to change so many more settings in the menus. But playing with the menus is for the guy that drives his car while keep changing stations on the radio all the time. :laughing7:

I now have more fun swinging a Tesoro Tejon with the second disc setting at rejecting pull tab. On the sand if the 2 nd. disc setting rejects the target, I dig up my pull tab or gold ring. The Tejon is lots lighter than the DFX for me now that I am either feeble or lazy. However if I am going out to just hit the beach I will take my Sov GT. You would do well to read about the Tejon and Sov GT.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is a threshold machine where the M6 is not so by nature the threshold machine will pick up on targets a little deeper than the M6. Some targets that are really deep won't even register on the meter you might only get a rise in the threashold as you pass over the target, you will have to get used to the detector before your able to pick up on this most likely. The only real advantage on the MXT pro is the tone ID and ground grab, both of which would be nice to have features. That way if you was going to cherry pick a spot you wouldn't even have to look at the meter just go by the sound the high tones would be your silver. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread