define "dig it all"

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: define "dig it all"

i use a tesoro "V"
i run the all metal mode all the time, when i get a hit i dig. i don't do parks. usually private land or woods.
case in point: got a hit,clipped sound (iron/steel) normally this is and old rusted out can,coffee can top, or balled up wire...

dug it up, 7" deep, out came a prince albert can / in the can was an assortment of ih Penneys,
silver dimes,quarters,and 2 $5.oo gold coins. i could have passed this up by dic. out the steel.
to me dig everything , means dig everything. of course you can't really do this in parks or tot lots (to many holes , to many people to wine about it) thats why i don't do those spots
respectfully, george

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RIGHT ON Daryl! Short, sweet and says all that needs to be said.
Cheers,
Bill (luvsdux)

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you don't dig it, you won't get it.
Short and sweet, as luvdux says. Thats refreshing

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MonkeyBoy said:
but I was digging .69 three ringers at 14"+ and some of them were ratty.. even with the big head! This was a smaller camp.. and we had dug the crap out of it over the years..1/2 fields 1/2 woods.. and I ended up digging 54 .69 3 ringers out of the woods.. plus a bunch of regular 3 ringers.. a large cent.. 6 War era IHs.. a sutler's token.. a bunch of buttons.. all really deep.. if it beeped.. I dug it! My habit has always been..
MonkeyBoy

Are you really finding 3 ringers at 14"? You were using a DFX right? If that's true, why isn't anyone recommending the DFX as a relic hunting machine? I'm looking for the deepest seeking relic machine I can find.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Having a dfx allows you a luxury...There are days where I am about 95% sure each hunt what I am going to dig with my modified coin program. then there are days when I use a coin/jewelry modified program and it drops to around 60%...I am not a dig it all guy....solid repeatables in the readings I dig yes...broken signals in pulltab or bottle top readings I pass on.... ;)

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

I've been hunting in the relic mode with my DFX the last 3 months in the Netherlands. I was finding 1/3" coins at 8" in really bad soil. With the right settings, it'll get the job done.

Daryl

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gribnitz said:
Start with high discrimination....just under pull tab let's say. Dig all those signals that you are sure are a good, and those that you are pretty sure are junk, but need to find out. Relic hunting is a LOT harder. You have turn the disc waaaay down and dig darn near everything. I turn the disc to just tune out rusty nails, so just about everything sounds good.

I do the same thing. If I'm still digging some of the bigger iron and an occasional rusted nail that happens to have a good halo, I'll know I'm getting the good stuff.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT

If your going to dig it all I see little sense in buying a high dollar machine other than the possibility of finding deeper finds.

"Dig it all" is a relative term and is likely directly proportional to how hard the ground is. When on a beach "dig it all" is no problem. Hard ground with roots and dig it all can mean a hole other thing.

I have seen a few post from people with brand new detectors taking the manufacture advice and hunting in all metal only to dig a bunch of trash and become quickly discouraged. Did they pick a horribly trashy area for there first few hunts? Probably.

I think sometimes doing just the opposite of the above advice would be better. Discriminate out all but the higher coin and silver range. Get the fires/interest stoked with some clad and possibly a silver ring and go from there. Sure they eventually need to learn there detector but that wont happen after they dig there umpteenth piece of trash, get discouraged and retire there new detector to the closet before they ever got started.

Keep in mind that a handful of current coins may not be much of a hunt for the old timers but can still be quite a thrill for newbies. After they realize they really can find something they can go back over those same grounds with a higher level of patience and a lower level of discrimination.

I often used this tactic with my kayak fishing. The first place I wold take newbies was juvenile trout grounds where I knew they would catch a small trout about every five minutes. Once they were stoked and had confidence that fish could be caught I would paddle them off to the lunker grounds where the hook ups were once an hour but the quality was much better.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

I have been detecting now for a little longer than when I originally posted. Unless I am looking for something specific I usually don't dig every signal any more. If I don't care what I am finding I will dig everything, but if I am just coin shooting I now know pretty much what coins sound like and read like with my machine and that is usually all I dig.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

When I give advice to "dig it all," I am saying that the only way to learn your machine in to know what the sounds mean. If you are listening very carefully and remembering what the sounds are, you can "tie" that sounds to what the target is. But to do that, you have to dig it up. So when you are just starting out, you are going to have to "dig it all" because all the sounds will be different. I then suggest you move on until you can "call it before you dig it" but you're still going to have to dig it. When your percentage of calls is to your satisfaction, you can start to walk away from targets pretty much knowing what they are. How long it takes you to get there is anybody's guess. But until you get there, you will have to "dig it all" no matter how expensive or simple your machine is. IMHO

Daryl

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

BioProfessor said:
When I give advice to "dig it all," I am saying that the only way to learn your machine in to know what the sounds mean. If you are listening very carefully and remembering what the sounds are, you can "tie" that sounds to what the target is. But to do that, you have to dig it up. So when you are just starting out, you are going to have to "dig it all" because all the sounds will be different. I then suggest you move on until you can "call it before you dig it" but you're still going to have to dig it. When your percentage of calls is to your satisfaction, you can start to walk away from targets pretty much knowing what they are. How long it takes you to get there is anybody's guess. But until you get there, you will have to "dig it all" no matter how expensive or simple your machine is. IMHO

Daryl

Yeah what he said!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread