What's new

Delima...your thoughs?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
2,074
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here is my delima. I have found a bank that will sell me bags. I got a 2 bags of halves, 1 dime, 1 nickel from this last week. I finally was able to go through all of them this weekend and the results were not exactly what I wanted. While I was picking up the half bags the teller told me that someone had brought a bunch of them in a few days earlier and ran them through the coin machine. Knowing this I figured that the lead bag would contain AG but the second bag is sure to be a skunk. Sure enough that is exactly what happened. Apparently this person is dumping dimes and nickels there also. I opened the dime bag from the bottom and found 1 Rosie right away, the rest were all clad. The nickels were pretty much a disappointment except for a war nickel I found at the bottom. Out of $200 in nickels, I found less than 20 pre-60's. I didnt even bother with the quarters.

My question to you guys on the forum is, would you continue to buy bags from this bank knowing that someone is dumping there? I hate to miss the silver that is being dumped by the unknowing, but I just dont think its worth wading through someones dumps. Thoughts, comments appreciated.

AG
 
Upvote 0
Knowing what you (now) know, I would pass on the bags and only order Fed boxes.
 
I would only buy bags off a machine if they charge their clients a fee to use the machine because no hard core CRH would use it. ( 1% of $1k = $10 - 4% = $40 & 8% = $80) my dump banks don't charge a fee hence they are my dump bank. My pick up bank charges their clients 4% thus they are my buy source.

Mojo
 
I'd probably look for greener spot(s), but would try it a second time too just to be sure; of course I only do halves.
 
I wish this one charged but its free for customers. I actually joined the Bank as a backup if my current dump bank dumps me then found out they were willing to sell the bags. No where else around here will sell them...
 
Who knows if some little old lady will come in and dump her late husbands coin collection between CRH dumps. Bound to happen somewhere.
 
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Stick with it, like Cyberdan said, the CRHer may not be the only one dumping there. IMO.
 
odds of finding something good is about the same doesn't matter if it's a bank machine or feds boxes ,from what I understand the feds rolls come from coinstar machine rolls...
 
i would, since to find Ag you need to go through volume...and in between someone else's dumps could come the uninitiated silver dumps.

however, i only order bank bags - and they DON'T come from dump machines.
 
I would still buy the bags, how fast do they fill? I just bought a bag that took months to fill, and half of it was dumps from my occasional rolls. I still got 21 silvers. ffd
 
The funny thing was it had been sitting there for almost 2 months, then suddenly they had 2 bags full. The one bag I did find silver in had it in the very bottom which I am assuming is from other customers. So his dump filled up over two bags. The funny thing is I ordered halves from a bank right around the corner. I order 4 there and last week they only had 2. I wonder if he was able to get 2 of my boxes and then dumped at the bank up the road.
 
I would keep getting the halves unless the guy is dumping hundreds and hundreds every day or so.

Sooner or later you will get somebody's collection that gets put in there. I have had my best results from machine bags by far.

You will know within a few weeks if it is worth doing or not. But I would give it at least a month to try.

Jim
 
AG,

Why wait till the bags are full? Lets's say the bag on the machine only has 200 bucks in it,ask the teller if you can fill it up and then buy it.

Also I'd keep going there and I would buy the quarter bag too. Last time I did that I got 9 out of a five hundred dollar bag.

HH

Rich
 
Buy them, and never stop! Everyday folks are cashing in their coin jars, emptying their dresser drawers, and scrounging what ever change is lying around. As the economy sinks lower, more folks will be doing this. Dont let somebodys dumps discourage you. Your next big score may walk thru the door of that branch, and dump the coin jar into that sorter.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom