Department of Defense, Meal Ready-to-Eat, Warfighter Tested, MRE. I have Questions!

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must be nuts but yesterday I bought this MRE at a recycling place: "Department of Defense, Meal Ready-to-Eat, Warfighter Tested, Menu 13, Cheese Tortellini Vegetarian". The label also says " U.S. Government Property, Commercial Resale is Unlawful; Flameless Ration Heaters are Prohibited on Commercial Airlines Unless sealed unoriginal MRE Menu Bag". I paid 50-cents for it because it seemed unique. But... can I sell it? On Ebay? Then, can I ship it to a buyer? Any feedback? 100_9106.jpg 100_9107.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The guys I know that have been forced to eat MRE's say they suck. I never had to eat those, but the C rats lima beans were the worse. As far as selling them, there are lots of things that have US Property on them that get sold in surplus stores, so I don't know why not.

OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Yeah, I don't want to get stuck eating this thing. It'll go up on Ebay. Thanks for the feedback.

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MRE

I must be nuts but yesterday I bought this MRE at a recycling place: "Department of Defense, Meal Ready-to-Eat, Warfighter Tested, Menu 13, Cheese Tortellini Vegetarian". The label also says " U.S. Government Property, Commercial Resale is Unlawful; Flameless Ration Heaters are Prohibited on Commercial Airlines Unless sealed unoriginal MRE Menu Bag". I paid 50-cents for it because it seemed unique. But... can I sell it? On Ebay? Then, can I ship it to a buyer? Any feedback? View attachment 845237 View attachment 845238

This is right up my alley as I retired from the Air Force after 23 years service. I was a Rigger on a C-130 flight crew. You can sell anything on ebay because as they say, there is a lid for every pot. Mre's can be purchased all over the net and the shelf life is forever, however, to me, are the last resort! If you are in the field without food they are the best thing around. Mre's have over 3000 calories, and made to make bathroom's not a necessity. You can go for days before, well, you know what I mean. Also, why they can not be used on a airplane, military or commercial, is because some of them have a cardboard heater included. You carefully cut the bag open, fill with water from your canteen to the "fill line", and the package will gurggle away and heat your meal. However, the mre's, when being heated, give off a gas, which you can not smell. If enough of them are being heated at the same time the toxic gases will make everyone, including the pilot and crew, sleepy and dizzy!
Rich

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
whiners...anyone who ever ate crats will love mre's...

I used to buy cases of them down in a nameless military town...some of the meals are downright civilized...and no green eggs in a green can...

that gas is hydrogen...not a good thing on a machine full of sparks and 30thousand feet above ground...

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I don't know which version they were, C or K, but in the 60's at Ft. Lewis, the cook would give out the ration stuff near the end of the month. I actually liked SOS, thought it was delicious.

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to eat the old Korean War K rations when I was in the Boy Scouts in the sixties. We all loved them. I also love the MRE's except you have to watch out for the age. Five year old MRE's are not bad, but older than that you may have problems with oil separation in some of the components. I recently took some ten year old MRE's camping in the Superstitions and it is lucky that I had some beef jerky with me because the MRE's were inedible and we lived exclusively off of the jerky. I threw away two cases of the old MRE's when I returned from my trip.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the Army - Erlangen Germany when they were just switching over from C-rations to MRE's - The MRE's are wayyyyyyyyy better!!!!!!! Though, the C's John Wayne bar really helped to stop you up for a week or so while in the field - and that's a good thing!!!!!!!!!!:laughing7:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MRE's depends on which one......some are OK, many are not......but when out in the field or another country......better than nothing........off course, given the option, eat off the economy...

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had c rats as well as mre's. I have to say the peanut butter and cheese in the mre's rival any bad tastes in c rats. Imho, the pound cake in the c rats is still my favorite.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In C-rations, I liked the canned fruit cake :) I traded the stuff I didn't like for the fruit cakes no one else liked. Ate a lot of fruit cakes :)

That chocolate was pretty good too....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread