JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, I usually hunt at trashy places because they are near, so I set my sensitivity fairly low to quiet the falsing and trashy noises. Since the ground is wet and easy to dig of late I have been running the sensitivity very high and digging 6 to 8 inch or deeper target signals that I normally would not even get hits on (with the lower sensitivity setting)...My question, is it normal for an average detector to miss-identify targets more often when the targets are deeper targets? Sometimes deep nails or pull tabs will high pitch tone and ID like good targets whether they are notched out or not. Thanks much...Cheers.

Upvote 0
yes. and ground balance vs soil, how long it's been in the ground, and contaimation,

First off the sound will be more accurate, so go by that. The ID can be affected by trash close, or depth, but also the angle of the target, as well as moisture too. In a trashy area do more digging than thinking and you will find more.

Last edited:
Most, if not all, tid detectors will give an audible signal deeper than the tid can identify accurately. Add in the comments above and learn the sounds well that your detector gives.
luvsdux

Maybe I didn't word the question well enough. I have nails and pull tabs "notched out/rejected" but they still cause an audible high pitch signal when deep. They are supposed to be mid tone, signals (like nickles)...and being notch discriminated out, I don't understand why they are signaling at all, and surely don't understand why they are causing high pitch audio signals in the dime, quarter, coin range tone...any Ideas before I call the company?

JSF, that's how it is, the previous posts in this thread are pretty good.

Metal detectors are like cars. The speedo reads 120 mph, but everyday experience tells us that putting the pedal to the metal is a bad idea 99% of the time.

--Dave J.

JSF, that's how it is, the previous posts in this thread are pretty good.

Metal detectors are like cars. The speedo reads 120 mph, but everyday experience tells us that putting the pedal to the metal is a bad idea 99% of the time.

--Dave J.
Thanks much, I've gotten several speeding tickets before, good advice for both activities!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back