saralo123
Greenie
- Joined
- May 8, 2014
- Messages
- 16
- Reaction score
- 20
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Orangeville Ontario
- Detector(s) used
- Whites coinmaster GT, garrett pin pointer, prism dd 4x6 coil.
- Primary Interest:
- Cache Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
I have a question for all the coin hunters out there. Since I purchased my detector, pin pointer and upgraded my coil, I have become very good at finding coins. However if I'm finding 50 year old coins in a particular type of soil at two inches how deep will the 150 year old coins be. I know that's a loaded question but the only old coin I have found to date is a 1918 wheat which was only 3 inches down. Am I to assume that someone hunted out a whole park fourty years ago? My stock coil picks up coins to 10 or 12 inches and I pulled a 1961 canadian penny out of a 6 inch hole with my 4 by 6 prism coil yesterday and a hand made nail at 11 inches. I use it in trashy areas and it works great. Am I losing depth detection on coins with the 4 by 6?? What am I missing. Oh by the way the park is 111 yrs old and is loaded with coins. Where the heck are the old ones.
? 
?

Sites vary but I call the oldest coins dug on a site,knowing there may be deeper I don,t reach, as being in the basement. If all levels are consistent in soil compactness and history of disruption and underlying soil is consistent,in time the oldest coins start to show a similar depth pattern. Of course head scratching exceptions have to pop up now and then. My oldest that are deepest don,t ring up like shallower ones on my different than yours equipment ,but don,t be afraid to experiment with iffy coin signals or narrow band of a soft "hit". Broader area of a swing still ringing up you can check but for me them deeper coins are narrow and takes a tiny swing to ring up but they whisper coin still. Sometimes bounce towards iron when getting out of my reach in depth or wet soil, but coin first. My average over the couple harder hunt years of note was a good four hundred coins per one old/silver one.






