Depth of the whites v31 detector

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question is the depth of this machine out of the box with factory coil, I understand certain adjustments can gain a bit more. U c I have a whites dfx even though my machine is older can the dfx compare depth wise or I’d the v3i much superior in digging deeper. Depth and comparisons of both out of the box and adjustments, thankyou

I have owned V3i. Never owned a DFX. All the reports I have read is V3i is deeper.
As far as factory program settings like coin and coin and jewelry. They can be made deeper depending on one’s soil.
V3i is difficult detector to get the most out of depth wise site for site. With all of its program settings.

Some folks bury a target on a new site and adjust detector to pick it up well.

Good luck.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the V3i and a DFX too. Love the V3i. Once you learn all of its settings it is a great detector. I have small coil for trashy areas too

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the v3i can detect up to 8 to 10 inches possible in certain conditions, dfx still very good my opinion and it’s what 20 years old about.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: The Whites V3i is a very good machine, but with about 88 settings (not all need adjusting) you will have to understand the machine to get the most from it. Another cool thing is that is a true 3 frequency machine (both transmit/receive and processing. You can also run it in single frequency, lower for silver and depth and higher for gold and relics. The graphic display for multi-frequency is a valuable tool. Again, it does take some time to learn, but you can you a stock program and modify it to each hunting situation. You should keep that machine away from the water, since a bath will probably destroy it. Good Luck in your detector search. :icon_thumleft:

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth is going to vary according to settings, soil conditions, etc...

The deepest good target I've found was a quarter at a legitimate 12 inches. The soil was on the sandy side of things and a bit damp (recently rained). I don't recall my settings, but they had been tweaked to my liking.

I've also hunted soil conditions where it seemed that depth was maxed out somewhere around 8 inches or so - admittedly it is possible that there just weren't any deeper targets to be found.

It seems that most of my good targets have been at 6 inches or less - no matter which machine I'm using.

I think the real benefit of the V3i is twofold - the first being target information, and the second being the ability to customize the V3i for the conditions and desired targets. That latter benefit can be a negative for some.

When properly set up (for the soil conditions) I believe the V3i is comparative (depth wise) to competing vlf machines in the price range. I still consider the V3i to be among the best machines currently available.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the information, I no there r many YouTube videos but I’d rather ask many users opinion regardless. What is it exactly I need to adjust to possibly gain a inch or two, even on my dfx I run a hi pro program dfx does good with quarters and others, but when I’m near power lines oh boy it goes nut I do to, what adjustments u recommend around power lines, u guys r priceless with information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread