Depth range up to 3 feet & modifications

Lires

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2008
Depth range up to 3 feet & modifications

Hello treasure net forum members. I am new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions in regards to modifying a metal detector.

1. Can you tell me which metal detector offers a deeper range up to 3 feet? I am looking for an iron or copper box, approximately 5 x 10 inches in hard and occasionally with small stones soil. The box contains gold coins.

Someone suggested a White’s MXT as a good detector, but it cannot search in such depth.

2. Do you know if it is possible to modify this or any other metal detector to search deeper than the depth range set by the manufacturer?

3. Are there any electrical engineers who can modify metal detectors?

4. Are there any (military) mine detectors, which can search deeper than the commercial metal detectors?

5. Are there any metal detectors, which can locate a metal (iron) box and give a different signal for the contents (gold)?

Thank you in advance for the information.
‘Lires’

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Re: Depth range up to 3 feet & modifications

You want a "two box" detector. They are for sale right here on eBay. If you want I'll find it for you with mine. Let's talk, PM me. Joe

Arkansas Fats

Feb 20, 2005

:)Go to www.whiteselectronics.com and look at the "Sierra Madre" with the 15 inch coil which will search down to 5 feet they say. I think that would depend on the size of the object. They are honest and will tell you what it can do.
The other is the "TM808" which would definitely find the box if you get over it. :-[Whatever you detect you are going to have to dig it so I hope its not in a high metal debre area.

OP
OP
L

Lires

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2008

Dear members, thanks a lot for all the replies and the suggestions. Does anyone know of an electrical engineer who repairs metal detectors and can modify them too in order to search deeper?

Lires

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

A Pulse Induction with a large enough coil might reach it. :-\ The larger the target, the deeper it will detect.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I agree with the pulse induction(PI) with a large coil. I have a 5'x3' coil on a PI and it will pick up a car in air about 25' away. Cross the state high power lines EMF will set it off 100s of feet away. It will pick up a beer can in the air 8' or 10' in salt water and I am sure buried too. Either of my Whites Surfmaster PIs will pick up a large metal object buried several feet, but I havent picked anything that small up more than 2- 2 1/2 feet deep. I did pick up a modern anchor about 18" long about 3'+ deep.

lightspeed500

May 26, 2008

Lires said:
Hello treasure net forum members. I am new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions in regards to modifying a metal detector.

1. Can you tell me which metal detector offers a deeper range up to 3 feet? I am looking for an iron or copper box, approximately 5 x 10 inches in hard and occasionally with small stones soil. The box contains gold coins.

Someone suggested a White’s MXT as a good detector, but it cannot search in such depth.

2. Do you know if it is possible to modify this or any other metal detector to search deeper than the depth range set by the manufacturer?

3. Are there any electrical engineers who can modify metal detectors?

4. Are there any (military) mine detectors, which can search deeper than the commercial metal detectors?

5. Are there any metal detectors, which can locate a metal (iron) box and give a different signal for the contents (gold)?

Thank you in advance for the information.
‘Lires’
Hear is a YouTube link that deals with powering up a Detector for greater depth. you may have to Copy and Past, I'm new at this hear.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

??? ??? ??? Why pay to have some one do it that will cost you more than if you buy a PI detector or a 2 box detector ???? ??? ??? ???..

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

My DetectorPro PI with only an 11inch coil picks up my metal sand scoop at least 3 feet away. I can get more depth by increasing the sensitivity but it becomes erratic and annoying.

3 feet no problem, all the time. I always have to carry my scoop on my shoulder while hunting. :D

I cant really tell the difference between iron or gold. Sometimes iron will chirp 2x. If it deep and signals, its usually iron.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,

To SteveMC
Steve what kind of PI do you have that will get that kind of range?
Usually air depth is shallower than ground depth, that sounds pretty
good. Also which loop are you using.
I have a Maxi-Pulse PI with a 3 foot loop and don't believe I can
get those kind of results, though it does easily beat loop type
detectors.
Rich

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

It is a Pulse 2000 I bought it about 15 years ago, and they still build them. It has a 5' x 3' coil. It was just a coil wire, and I fiberglassed it into that shape. The coil is as light as PVC, which I had before.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

The matrix of the Sand or dirt can adversely affect the depth from one location to the next with any given detector. So just be careful on the depths .

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
A Pulse Induction with a large enough coil might reach it. :-\ The larger the target, the deeper it will detect.
Exactly Dale.
But you are going to pay for it. You may be able to pick up a used Minelab GPX with one of the large coils at a decent price.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For a cache such as this, you need an iron sensitive detector. None will indicate the gold coins inside. It should be a piece of cake. Suggestions if you are looking for another detector, go check out the Discovery TI 900 two box units. They have ground balancing. Try E-Bay also. $425 here.-->

---> http://www.detection.com/Discovery/Tf900.html <--

Don Jose de La Mancha

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all send you my garret master hunter cx pluss with treasure hound dept multplyer, if you split the find, and send my detector back after wards, hows that for a deal..

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation for All. Hamid

pelestaribudaya

Greenie
Jun 28, 2012
Indonesia
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808,
Fisher cz 7a Pro,
Fisher CZ70 ro,
Fisher CZ 3D,
Garret ACE 250,
WHITES TDI
Garrett Infinium,
JEOTECH LED
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the WHITE TM 808 older model.
I am pretty sure will HIT the 5" x 9"...since i dug up the 9 x 12" BRONZE VESSEL (14 th century) at 5 FEET DEEP. with very strong signal. BUT the Machines got to be ground balance properly and right adjustment of sens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread