What's new

🥇 BANNER Deputy Sheriff T.S. Hatfield badge

badcop25601

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2012
Messages
29
Reaction score
99
Golden Thread
1
Location
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first time posting in a long time. I decided to try doing a little searching on a hillside behind my house. After about 15 minutes, found this badge about 4" deep. T.S. Hatfield (Tennyson or Tennis) was son of Anse Hatfield. Served as a deputy during the 20's and was sheriff in this county. My best find yet!
 

Attachments

  • HATFIELD BADGE 2.webp
    HATFIELD BADGE 2.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,695
  • HATFIELD BADGE REAR.webp
    HATFIELD BADGE REAR.webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:
Badcop, congratulations on such a great find and having it making Banner! It deserves to be up there, very Kool. Are you a Cop, or were you one once?
If so it's even kooler that a cop found a cops badge! A very special cop's badge at that!

Yes......32 years and winding down the stress. The only therapy that works is detecting lol
 
Has this been authenticated?
 
Has this been authenticated?

There are no photos of him wearing the badge as of yet. I have contacted several badge dealers and one reliable auction house. They all confirm that the badge is consistant with some that were worn during that era. The individual deputy would have had his name hand punched on his badge. I have had some offers to purchase but am keeping it.
 
Thanks for losing 2 hours reading through the links, good hours! I remembered your post, what a find! With all the crazy things that went on around there the ground must be full of stories, thanks.
 
Thanks for losing 2 hours reading through the links, good hours! I remembered your post, what a find! With all the crazy things that went on around there the ground must be full of stories, thanks.

If my hunts lately are an indicator, there must have been a whole lot of beer drinking out of cans going on lol
 
Simply stunning! I love the stories and legends surrounding the Hatfield–McCoy feud, it is part of the American tradition. That badge is very valuable to our nation's history, happy you found it after so many countless decades. I'd rather find this than a gold coin any day! :icon_thumright:
 
I couldn't find a photo of TS Hatfield wearing his deputy sheriff badge, but here's a 1926 photo of him as sheriff. That might be a badge on his pocket, below the watch chain, but I'm not willing to bet on it.

Caption:

Sheriff of Logan County 1926
Youngest son Tennis S. Hatfield
of Devil Anse Hatfield
Logan County Courthouse


--Guy
 

Attachments

  • ab.webp
    ab.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 154
Holy smokes! What a cool historical find! Congrats! :icon_thumright:
 
Awesome find and a great piece of history to go with it!!! Congrats!!!

"D"
 
Congrats on the find of course, but more importantly the 32 yeas of service. I'm winding down myself and I know for a fact if I lost my badge and someone found it 100 years later they would probably toss it in the can slaw bucket! LOL...Congrats. jgas
 
Congrats on the find of course, but more importantly the 32 yeas of service. I'm winding down myself and I know for a fact if I lost my badge and someone found it 100 years later they would probably toss it in the can slaw bucket! LOL...Congrats. jgas

And thank you as well for your service sir!!
 
Ok... 2 things.....
First being, how did I miss this post.... and second,
How did this not become Banner the day you found it?

Congrats on an incredible find, and kudos to Jeff and others with the research....fascinating!
I was kind of wondering what took so long for it to make the banner myself. I voted back in June myself.
 
That is awesome banner for sure wow
 
Amazing find and this thread was a joy to read. Thanks!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom