What's new

Detecting for a living

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
1,468
Reaction score
644
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious!! Any one out there able to survive strickly using metal detecting as there only source of income?
 
Upvote 0
I wish! I'm sure there are a few that have done it.....you know.....the ones lucky enough to find a big valuable cache of some sort. I doubt you could do it hunting parks or the beach unless you need very little to live on and live in a cardboard box!
 
Hamid Detecting is one hunt for live:laughing7: but i'm never afraid of my life. I have my skills and great self-confidence and more that, self-esteem.
Any beach was any where, no problem for me.
If you want more, i can write for convincre.....
Good luck
Regards Hamid
 
Depends on where you live, very few places in US you could live off it and be secure but there are some beaches in other countries where it could be possible if you lived real cheap.

I would hate to think I had to find a ring to feed my wife that day, it would cease to be fun....
 
My kids would starve.....unless I could figure out a way to serve pull tabs and can slaw!. Yummm....sounds delicious.
 
This is my story with the detection on the beach and summarized ::laughing7:
It's memories carved in my memory, when i was young, i get up early and walk around on the beach, saluting find a lot of coins, some rings and this time the skills and technics started to enter to my mind without i don't know, sometimes i find the gold and it will be a day of Kings. Cleanest money and go to school. Year after year, becoming a guy. In the summer, i collect the money and jewelry, to be saving for the winter, and i spent on my study until i reached the university and i got a diploma studies of computer and the first year of life science.
Thank you for reading and happy hunting.
Regard Hamid
 
With enough capital investment you can do just about anything you want. But even then, constantly putting yourself in prime locations would be very costly.
 
Location, location, location.... oh and the price of gold. You would also have to have a way to sell you gold where you would be assured better than melt value. Way to many varibles for any sain man with a family. Like going to a Casino just no way to predict your paychecks..... and you best have great equipment, locations, and above average skill. Id hate to think of it as a JOB it could get real depressing.

Dew
 
Last edited:
Just for kicks, let's explore this, might be fun.

I would think it would have to be approached as more of a lifestyle, say a single guy, and first you have to figure out how to support the lifestyle before you can start detecting for a living. For debate, let's say it takes at least a very minimum of $1500.00 a month just to survive. That's $18'000.00 a year just to support a very limited lifestyle. Another $5000.00 tucked away for emergencies each year. Basically this would be right at $23'000.00 a year. Just to show a profit you'd have to do around $2000.00 a month, or say, $450.00 a week. But you would have to live very, very cheaply, and travel would be severely limited.
 
Only if you were the guys selling shovels and detectors lol.
 
dont know if I could detect for a living, but Im definitely living for detecting
 


One day in future will be...
fall-leaves.gif
 
Last edited:
Hamid Detecting is one hunt for live:laughing7: but i'm never afraid of my life. I have my skills and great self-confidence and more that, self-esteem.
Any beach was any where, no problem for me.
If you want more, i can write for convincre.....
Good luck
Regards Hamid

Huh?
 
Decting for a living? Depends on what your spouse says :) I have always thought it as a hobby. Still do even though I am retired. When it becomes a job, then it will be come that 4 letter word called W O R K. Been there, done that....time to have fun.
 
Well I am often asked if "this" is what I do for a living. I explain to the looky lous that I actually have a big boy job. That you could'nt actually count on "living" on this hobby. However, I am fortunate enough to receive a pension from my time served in the US Army and if I did not have a family that I would never replace who counted on me financially I think that I could swing it. Hmmmmmmmm?
 
yes hockeyfan does it and he "only" detects no side jobs.you have to be good and hunt every day
 
Yep that's what I figured. Thanks to all of you for all the responses. Including the humorous ones!
 
move to vietnam, buddy of mine lived there for two months, in a resort "hut" and didn't go light on the meals or booze for about a thousand dollars US
 
I think you could, in the right location.:icon_silent: I hope to be able to test it out one day.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom