Detecting in Marathon, FL (Keys) - Permit needed??

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title pretty much sums it up. Heading there for a week in September to do some fishing/lobstering and partake in some drunken debauchery and want to take my MD to hit some of the local public beaches.

I found nothing on the City's website about MD permits; I looked on Monroe county site as well with no luck.

Anyone have any info they can share?

Thanks in advance.

PTP

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No permit needed to hunt in Marathon, Fl.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Not much in the way of beaches in the Keys.

There is Sombrero... Coco Plum is another one. Otherwise, it's just not that beachy....

Treasure lease's in the water, but I'm not sure where. Going into the water without knowing which is where is a recipe for disaster. They take that seriously down there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You're in luck. I sell the permit. Send me $100 via paypal, and you will be permitted to hunt the beaches there to your heart's content ! :occasion14:

OP
OP
PullTabProphet

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, sure. Checks in the mail! I finally got hold of someone at the City. As Ron Lord mentioned, no problem MD'ing in City Parks or the beaches.

Thanks Guys.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
uh ... in the future ..... be careful about calling cities to ask about such things. Eg.: "do I need a permit ?", or "is metal detecting allowed here?", etc... Because there's been stories of persons being told "you can't do that", etc.... when, in fact, there is no actual specific rule or law saying that. Because perhaps some desk-bound pencil pusher parks guy thinks you'll leave marks. Or perhaps your question lands on a purist archie's desk, etc.... Thus best to look up rules for oneself, or ask fellow hobbyists in that locale, etc.....

OP
OP
PullTabProphet

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I hear ya Tom.

Actually, looking back I wasn't specific enough in my original post; as I already know that I can metal detect on any public beach/seashore (excluding of course federal - like Canaveral Nat'l seashore) here in Florida. The FL Supreme Court has already ruled that the Beaches here are for/belong to the citizens to use and/or enjoy all legal activities including MD'ing from the toe of the dunes to the tideline.

My real concern was the city parks that wrap around/are adjacent to the few public beaches in the Keys. The City maintained parks were my main concern. I should've been clearer on that.

I have yet to run into any City in Florida that does not allow MD'ing in City Parks come to think of it. If they require a permit, it's usually free! Well, minus Orange County ($30.00) which is a Liberal run bastian of progressive idiocy that wants to micro-manage and profit off the lives of every citizen that passes over their county lines. Otherwise, in all the other counties I have MD'd in, usually the permit process - if they have one, is a way for them to have a chance to tell you to make sure you follow the usual MD'ing etiquette etc. which of course I support & practice anyways.

The Girl I spoke with in Parks & Recreation in Marathon kind of sounded surprised that there would be a permit for it at all in their parks and responded with a "No... no permits for metal detecting. Just be respectful of park property and other people enjoying the park grounds - otherwise have fun and buy me a beer if you find any trea$ure!" To which I responded that if i found any "real treasure" she could count on a CASE of beer! :tongue3::thumbsup::laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.....My real concern was the city parks that wrap around/are adjacent to the few public beaches in the Keys. The City maintained parks were my main concern. I should've been clearer on that....

Ok, sure. And the city parks, rules, laws, etc.... are all available for public viewing somewhere. As are any available permits (for anything that required permits) going to be listed somewhere for public viewing. If you found a) no such permit, and b) nothing that said "no metal detectors", then presto: Detecting isn't prohibited, nor requiring permits :)

....The Girl I spoke with in Parks & Recreation in Marathon kind of sounded surprised that there would be a permit for it at all in their parks and responded with a "No... no permits for metal detecting. Just be respectful of park property ...

Well that's great, but be aware that:

a) as I said, there's been cases of "no's", where no such rule really said such a thing (because perhaps they morph something about harming earthworms, etc...).

b) the fact that you got a "yes", doesn't equate to: "therefore permission was necessary" or "therefore it was good that I asked". Because think of it: Did you really think someone was going to say "gee, that's a silly question, you don't need my permission". On the contrary, persons-in-authority will never answer like that. Hence I do not construe a "yes" or a "no" to necessarily mean "therefore permission was necessary".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread