Detecting in Mexico

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Hi All-

Just back from a trip to Cancun and Isla de Mujares. Brought the Minelab and a hand shovel to try my luck on the beaches. No trouble bringing it into the country, using it, or bringing it back to the US. In fact, the only questions were by some German tourists. They had seen metal detectors before, but had not used them. They wanted to know how it worked, what I found, the cost, and can they buy them in Germany.

Found a bunch of small denomination change, but no jewelry. Bought a round of margaritas and gave all the smaller change to a lady in the market in exchange for a couple of oranges. I think she got the better of me on that deal.

My only complaint was that I missed some world-class detecting by just a few days. On the way to Chichen Itza, we stayed in Valladolid, a colonial city founded in 1545. They're renovating the streets all around the historic center. About 10 blocks of pavement had been stripped down to dirt and repaved. I arrived just as they were staining and finishing the new concrete. Oh, what I could have found..... On a brighter note, I had a chat with the caretaker of a 400 year old church in the area, and he said I could detect the orange groves on the property on my next trip.

Gotta start looking for cheap fares!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you Fly in or Drive,I live in Yuma only 11 miles from the nearest border x-ing an have seen a few spots over there I'd like to detect ,plus have a couple good leads on a hunt or to an have been curious as to what would be said at the borders .

thanks Tank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread