detecting old places in flooded out areas

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
here is 3 examples of the area. first is a piece of a 1878 map, second is a topo of the area in 1977 and third is a areal photo in 1994.

Attachments

• carrier mills.JPG
    carrier mills.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 1977 topo creek.jpg
    1977 topo creek.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 307
  • arial.jpg
    arial.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 299

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
I think I'd go for it. Nothing gained without some venture, and would probably start where the homes once stood working my way downstream for anything that may have washed away. Good luck if you go and hope to see some good finds!

HH
DB

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let us know what you find

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Of course Mike!

You have to at least try any way.

Other wise every time you pass it you'll wonder. ;D

It's the way I look at it.

I find myself driving by some places thinkg "man, I gotta try that spot.

Not to brag or any thing but, I find civil war artifact's around trees in parking lot's of restaurants smack dab in the middle of downtown.

Give er a shot mikey

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig deep targets and use low discrimination. Things could be deep if covered with river silt, or they could be nonexistent if washed downstream.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any place there were homes or activity is always worth checking. You'll never really know until you try, but if it were close to me I'd spend a fair bit of time there checking it out.
HH
Luvsdux

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
I search a few flood plains and if the area is used for crops,ect I say give it a whirl and have a great time :icon_thumleft:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do a lot of this. Locally we have a lot of condemmed homes or raized home sites that are not allowed for building or habitating. The good news is that floods can scour an area and open new soil strata every season for new finds. The bad news is that floods can deposit feet of silt and bury formerly good spots. I have found indian head cents on the surface and 1971 dimes 9" deep. It is a disturbed area and may or may not provide good results.

Also, fairs and carnivals are frequently held in such spots because they do not have other uses. GREAT places for jewelry and coin shooting.

Any spot someone dropped something is a good place to detect. :D

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Another thing to consider is how much of a flood or floods have taken place. Was it just high water or was it a rip roaring gusher that took out everything in its path. I know of a low creekside area that held several streets and businesses in the 1800's to early 1900's. Problem was that the 72 flood totally obliterated the area.

Definitely worth a try on your spot but don't get your hopes up to much. it's hit or miss.

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
it's never really a gusher just high water but the water does get pretty high sometimes. I have seen it when the water was about 20 feet above normal levels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread