detecting old places in flooded out areas

here is 3 examples of the area. first is a piece of a 1878 map, second is a topo of the area in 1977 and third is a areal photo in 1994.

Attachments

• carrier mills.JPG
    carrier mills.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 1977 topo creek.jpg
    1977 topo creek.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 307
  • arial.jpg
    arial.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 299
I think I'd go for it. Nothing gained without some venture, and would probably start where the homes once stood working my way downstream for anything that may have washed away. Good luck if you go and hope to see some good finds!

HH
DB

let us know what you find

Of course Mike!

You have to at least try any way.

Other wise every time you pass it you'll wonder. ;D

It's the way I look at it.

I find myself driving by some places thinkg "man, I gotta try that spot.

Not to brag or any thing but, I find civil war artifact's around trees in parking lot's of restaurants smack dab in the middle of downtown.

Give er a shot mikey

Dig deep targets and use low discrimination. Things could be deep if covered with river silt, or they could be nonexistent if washed downstream.

Any place there were homes or activity is always worth checking. You'll never really know until you try, but if it were close to me I'd spend a fair bit of time there checking it out.
HH
Luvsdux

I search a few flood plains and if the area is used for crops,ect I say give it a whirl and have a great time :icon_thumleft:

I do a lot of this. Locally we have a lot of condemmed homes or raized home sites that are not allowed for building or habitating. The good news is that floods can scour an area and open new soil strata every season for new finds. The bad news is that floods can deposit feet of silt and bury formerly good spots. I have found indian head cents on the surface and 1971 dimes 9" deep. It is a disturbed area and may or may not provide good results.

Also, fairs and carnivals are frequently held in such spots because they do not have other uses. GREAT places for jewelry and coin shooting.

Any spot someone dropped something is a good place to detect. :D

Another thing to consider is how much of a flood or floods have taken place. Was it just high water or was it a rip roaring gusher that took out everything in its path. I know of a low creekside area that held several streets and businesses in the 1800's to early 1900's. Problem was that the 72 flood totally obliterated the area.

Definitely worth a try on your spot but don't get your hopes up to much. it's hit or miss.

it's never really a gusher just high water but the water does get pretty high sometimes. I have seen it when the water was about 20 feet above normal levels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back