What's new

Detecting with a dog. Discuss.

-
dogs2.webp--dogs.webp--dogs1.webp
 
Detecting aside, everything is better with a dog. Since my Great Dane passed, I'm down to my wife's poodle, but he exhibits "real dog" behavior now and then.

IMG_1008.webp
 
Geez, you'd think the admin could upload a pic right side up.
 
Some great looking dogs! I have three weimers, and no matter what we set out to do outside, they want to track and hunt something! I am thinking the next gen of weimers in the house will be trained to hunt gold and silver!
 
Well this has a good side and a bad side. I have a pit bull. He is 60#s of energy that is afraid of nothing. If he see someone( human) he barks and stays at my side to protect me. He always stays between the other person and me. I once got charged by a deer. Having a little bull fighting experience, I side steped when he was about 6 feet away heading towards my. He just shot by and hit some bushes. He turned for another charge and Blue my dog rammed him in the side.They got into a battle. I went went to help Blue and the deer took off. Here is the bad side. Although he has come upon black snakes and is fast enough to pull back when they strike, I worry that a rattler might be faster. There is also the problem of thorns in his feet. Out west That might be a big ploblem and also goats heads. Another thing is he does not like opossums. He kills them on sight. The cats are safe as long as they don't run. If they run he runs up beside them and buts them over with his nose. It is a game with him. He also digs out moles. Frank... View attachment 951144
Blue
As rattle snakes are common around here, I talked to the vet and got all of mine vaccinated against rattle snakes, not that expensive, so call the vet and get that worked into the next shot series! Love Pits.
 
Geez, you'd think the admin could upload a pic right side up.
We understand! lol Frank...Gracie and friend.webpSometimes the pictures get mixed up. lol
Z poodle 1.webp
How's that?
 

Attachments

  • 111-2 700.webp
    111-2 700.webp
    52.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
As rattle snakes are common around here, I talked to the vet and got all of mine vaccinated against rattle snakes, not that expensive, so call the vet and get that worked into the next shot
series! Love Pits.

A shot for rattle snakes? That's one on me. Frank...Blue 1212.webp Ah Blue!
 
Ditto on the vaccine, I had no idea there was something like that...I have a Yorkie...of all dogs and strange thing happened that made me think and this thread makes me wonder even more now. When I first got my CTX 3030 I had already covered my yard with my White's MXT300 and Garrett AT Pro. Branson likes to dig but only when a hole is started so I am constantly pushing him out of the way while pinpointing...Anyway, there is one spot he was digging in on his own this time in a corner of the yard and when I finally got to this area I had a hit right over the hole he had been working on, wasn't much of a hole yet he was only 6 months at the time. Again I have gone over this spot at least twice with two other detectors. This has been my biggest find yet on my property. I found a silver women's ring with an unidentified heart stone, a romper room ring, a mercury dime, nickel, steel cent, some plain ol' pennies and a clad quarter or two in just this one spot. Coincidence or not it made me think for a minute, cadaver dogs, drug dogs yes but treasure dogs???
 
Beautiful dogs, guys and gals. All of them. :)
 
I don't know what to say here. I use to have two older mixed breed dogs, they loved to go and behaved so good. I could woods detect and keep then tied up to a nearby tree, sometimes they would take a nap if the walk to our detecting site was far. After they passed away of old age, we got a new dog. He is an American Foxhound and I about never detect anymore, lol. I tried taking him,he has to be tied up, because if he chases a deer, he will not be found till after dark. He fusses and barks so much it drives me crazy, and cuts my hunt short. I tried doing a 2 mile hike with him before I detected, it won't settle him down, just too much energy. I don't have the heart to put him in the crate and leave him at home while I go out and enjoy the outdoors. I will just have to keep trying detecting with him and hope he settles down.
 
I don't know what to say here. I use to have two older mixed breed dogs, they loved to go and behaved so good. I could woods detect and keep then tied up to a nearby tree, sometimes they would take a nap if the walk to our detecting site was far. After they passed away of old age, we got a new dog. He is an American Foxhound and I about never detect anymore, lol. I tried taking him,he has to be tied up, because if he chases a deer, he will not be found till after dark. He fusses and barks so much it drives me crazy, and cuts my hunt short. I tried doing a 2 mile hike with him before I detected, it won't settle him down, just too much energy. I don't have the heart to put him in the crate and leave him at home while I go out and enjoy the outdoors. I will just have to keep trying detecting with him and hope he settles down.

Oh I bet he LOVES to RUN and BARK! Those hounds can run all day, yeah, I dont know if you could tire it out with a walk or run before going out to MD. One of my weimers was so upset I tired her to a tree, she chewed through aircraft cable to run up and join me, digging a post hole!
 
I don't know what to say here. I use to have two older mixed breed dogs, they loved to go and behaved so good. I could woods detect and keep then tied up to a nearby tree, sometimes they would take a nap if the walk to our detecting site was far. After they passed away of old age, we got a new dog. He is an American Foxhound and I about never detect anymore, lol. I tried taking him,he has to be tied up, because if he chases a deer, he will not be found till after dark. He fusses and barks so much it drives me crazy, and cuts my hunt short. I tried doing a 2 mile hike with him before I detected, it won't settle him down, just too much energy. I don't have the heart to put him in the crate and leave him at home while I go out and enjoy the outdoors. I will just have to keep trying detecting with him and hope he settles down.

Oh I bet he LOVES to RUN and BARK! Those hounds can run all day, yeah, I dont know if you could tire it out with a walk or run before going out to MD. One of my weimers was so upset I tired her to a tree, she chewed through aircraft cable to run up and join me, digging a post hole!
 
The right dog could sniff out coins and dig them up for you if trained right. Not joking it can be done. Dogs have the nose for it and love to dig. Many metals actually put off a heavy smell, especially silver and you could even train your dog to smell only silver and bypass pull tabs.
 
The right dog could sniff out coins and dig them up for you if trained right. Not joking it can be done. Dogs have the nose for it and love to dig. Metals actually put of a heavy smell and you could even train your dog to smell only silver.

Why should anyone need a detector get a bloodhound lol
 
Yes Hillbilly Joe my dog has chewed through 2 nylon leashes, I know the feeling lol. I have a steel plastic coated leash now.

AusTexDude I always wondered if a dog could be a treasure sniffer myself, they have nose way more sensitive then ours. I saw a dog on TV that could sniff out Truffles which are quite expensive. On the TV show Hillbilly Blood a Blood Hound was sniffing out Ginseng Root, but that is a reality show, so who knows on that. Dogs will work for yummy treats.
 
That's it... I am getting a dog one day and training him to metal detect.

It's going into the "Things to do before I die" list.
 
I cannot leave my house with my detector without my dog coming with me. He beats me out the door every time! He is my detecting partner. He's a rescue we got a few years ago. Supposedly a Golden Retriever, German Shepard mix. He's 85 pounds, is totally harmless, but will bark at strangers when they come close which alerts me and causes them to keep their distance. Once all is OK he allows people to pet him. And...he is the most obedient dog anyone could ever ask for. He bothers no one and nothing. I get compliment all of the time. So, yes. Having a dog to detect with is great but I guess a lot depends on the dog. A mean, biting dog or a dog that runs off wouldn't be too pleasant to detect with. And I don't know how anyone could detect if they had to hold their dog's leash the whole time.
dontknow.gif


New Image.webp
 
That's it... I am getting a dog one day and training him to metal detect. It's going into the "Things to do before I die" list.

The dog is smelling something they sprayed on the metal, NOT THE METAL.
What dogs smell is basically DNA, or material that LIVING things constantly shed. Metal does not shed DNA!
Frank...111-1 profile.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom