Detector advice

senate

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV as my first detector a couple months ago to see if I would like the hobby, and I do (a lot). I have used it almost everyday (thank you global warming lol). Now I'm thinking it's time to upgrade... but I'm not sure what to get. I know there's no "best detector" since everyone's needs and hunting style are different so here's a little about me:

I live in Indiana and hunt mostly in parks and along trails. No beaches yet but do plan on hitting up Indiana Dunes/Lake Michigan eventually. Some areas I hunt are very trashy - pull tabs everywhere - but these are also the spots with the most activity and history. I have no problem picking out the copper pennies (Zincolns usually stay in the ground), dimes, quarters and up. I can tell a nickel from a pull tab with pretty good accuracy (the newer pop tabs give off a more steady tone so they are trickier but at least they are less common and usually near the surface). I got lucky a couple times and dug up 2 gold rings (14K). Today I took one of those rings and a modern pop tab and tried to get the Bounty Hunter to distinguish between the two. It couldn't. Neither in tone mode or disc mode. They were identical to the machine.

Thus, my main motivation for wanting to upgrade. I'm tired of digging up tabs. A few once in awhile is understandable due to all the other variables that can affect it, but I want a machine that can tell the difference in a simple air test at least. I very likely passed over some gold assuming it was junk. I don't want a specialized gold finder as I have no prospecting plans nor expectations of finding very small gold jewelery (although that would be nice too). My other issue is that I haven't found ANY silver coins yet. Either there's none around here (unlikely as I have found several wheaties, and Indiana head and a buffalo nickel) or they're too deep for my machine with discernment on. All metal mode for extra depth isn't an option for me at these parks.

I have a Garrett Pro Pointer so built-in pin-pointing functionality isn't that important.

I have my eye on Minelab's E-Trac, which is about as much as I'm willing to spend. All the extra info it gives you seems like it would help me tremendously. My fear is that no matter which detector I get, it still won't be able to tell me the difference between my 14K gold ring and a pop tab... maybe it's not possible. Anyway, I thought I'd come here for some advice.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. :hello:Everyone that gets a Bounty Hunter soon wants to upgrade. But I have to tell you that NO MD can tell the difference between most pull tabs and gold rings. Gold rings are alloyed with different metals to make them harder. The conductivity happens to be in the same range as the alum pull tab and some rings are even in the foil and high iron range. Silver rings are very conductive as are silver coins and are usually the first to be found. A small coil is needed for trashy parks so you have a better chance of getting only one target under the coil at a time so it won't be masked out. Relying on a screen will have you not digging targets because the detector said it was a pull tab and if you believe it you lost out on a gold ring.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman knows his stuff. He spelled out the situation very nicely.
Too bad, but that's the way things are, as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
S

senate

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was afraid of. I noticed on detectors that ID stuff the gold range is practically the whole bottom half of the range, overlapping tabs, foil, etc. all the way to the zinc border, with coins and silver on the other side. I guess if I want gold, I'll have to work for it. Fair enough. I know you can't always trust the detector but I figured the more info it gives the more I can learn about the machine and dig up less junk in the end. Anyway, does the E-Trac seem like a good fit for me? Is it good for finding deep silver?

EDIT: White's MXT looks good too. I heard it will give me the depth for silver I'm looking for. Knowing that I'll still be digging up pull tabs with the E-Trac, I'm not sure I really want to spend that much, although all those features are still tempting.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my eye on Minelab's E-Trac, which is about as much as I'm willing to spend. All the extra info it gives you seems like it would help me tremendously. My fear is that no matter which detector I get, it still won't be able to tell me the difference between my 14K gold ring and a pop tab... maybe it's not possible. Anyway, I thought I'd come here for some advice.

Knowing that I'll still be digging up pull tabs with the E-Trac, I'm not sure I really want to spend that much, although all those features are still tempting.

You can buy my used E-Trac. $950

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a post very similar to this in the past, and to be honest. Even the Etrack will not determine the difference, in fact when I go hunting with my buddy that Uses an Etrac primarly. IF we are in our jewelry hunting mode, we both pull out the ACE 250. Ive found more Gold with the ACE 250 than i have with my AT PRO, and his ETRAC put togahter. And when I do look for gold. I only have it set on the Nickel and Pulltab mode, nothing else. Im sure I am missing some small stuff, and possibly huge gold, but I have had the best luck with those 2 modes, so im sticking with it.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me ask you this since I know you have lots of experience. The cpl gold rings I found rang much clearer than tabs or bottle caps. Do you also find that to be the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread