What's new

Deus Silver

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
1,535
Reaction score
949
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm still not "One with my Deus" but I sure am able to recognize more of what's underground (or undersand).

The Deus's extreme sensitivity can drive one crazy ... calming down the sensitivity and hitting and digging thousands of targets finally got me happy.

I'm able to predict coins and can slaw pretty accurately. No rings yet ..I'm overdue.

I'm not in full hunting mode yet ..still trying to predict targets and depth. Picking up lots of greenies and surprisingly a few Silvers.

Got these two Silvers at the regular Long Beach beach. They were only 3 feet apart...the Merc down about 8" and the Rosie down about only 5". I gridded the area and spent another 20 minutes trying to pick up more but unsuccessfully.

HH Joe
 

Attachments

  • Deus Dimes 4-22-11 sm.webp
    Deus Dimes 4-22-11 sm.webp
    72.2 KB · Views: 671
Upvote 0
i almost bought one of these last month.

how do u like the wireless headphones?

do u detach the control part?

god it looks like a great heater to me.

nice silver tickets and great spin

m
 
Hi Max,

Right now I keep the control unit on the shaft with the magnet..it stays put reliably for me without the lanyard they supply. The headphones are a bit funky and flimsy. They work reliably but tend to slip off my head. I wear a cap and "capture" the headphone with the back of the cap.

What attracted me to the Deus first was the compact size .. perfect for traveling. As I investigated more I found a lot of strong positive opinions from users. The claim is that it's at least equal to the Etrac in depth. I'm going from the Fisher F-4 so it's a definite improvement. I can't really say if it is equal to the Etrac. My buddy with the SE Pro will flag me some of his deep signals and then I'll have a way to compare.

It takes a bit of getting used to ...especially the "chicken talk" ...and the hitting of the tiniest pieces of foil. I swear a piece the size of the head of a pin will set it to squawk! On a relatively clean beach ..in the dry sand it will locate targets every few inches. On my first 4 or 5 outings it drove me crazy and tired. The thing was indicating real targets even targets I'd prefer not to hear.

I did finally learn to recognize the tiny targets as no good, the thin targets as no good, the screechy, scratchy targets as no good (crown caps). I upped the discrim to 35 and that cut out a lot of noise. Now at the 18K frequency (my favorite since I'm looking for Gold) It hits 94 95 and it's a quarter, it hits 91 92 it's a dime (or copper cent) 80 85 it's a zincoln, 55 62 it's a nickel or pulltab. Can slaw from 40's to 70's still fools me, especially if it's coin sized. It beautifully discrims smaller iron such as nails and bobby pins.

What also sold me was that the factory direct price to the US was probably wholesale and substantially less than the going price in the UK. I liked it enough to get the larger coil just recently...it's 13" X 11" vs 9" round for the standard coil. I'll need the better coverage for my summer beach hunts. It also has software updates via the internet ... I did the V2 update just a few months back where they added an improved wet beach program and a new dry beach program. If you are a tinkerer there's all sorts of parameters to change and save as one of the nine preset programs....I like that you can discrim all the way to VDI OF 90's and discrim out all except quarters and higher.

The unit is quality built and well engineered (I'm a retired mechanical engineer)..and for someone wanting a bit higher end ... a pretty good deal. (I had to make my first Gold sale to help finance the buy).

Regards, Joe

PS: There's a UK forum that I joined which has comments and advice for XP detector owners...it's a good site (and free): http://www.xp-ownersforum.com/
 
Joe, Did you ever ask how long the battery in the coil will last? The best answer I could get was 12 to 18 months of normal use! I could not get an answer as for normal use. Is that 8 hrs a week or 8 hrs a day? I heard that they are going to make it so you can charge or replace that battery by the user?
That would make it a great deal better. Sending the coil back in each time the battery goes dead would seem to be a hassle,and several weeks of loss of use.
 
Hi Buried,

I did some independent research about the LiPo batteries that XP uses. They are supposedly good for anywhere from 200 to maybe upper limit of 500 charge cycles before capacity drops to 80%. I charge them approximately twice a week so that would give me somewhere between 2 to 5 years.

Right now I would have to mail my coils to the factory and pay about $80. The remote and headphones also have a battery but replaceable by consumer (I believe).

HH Joe
 
Re: Deus battery change, no problem at all

Buried Crap NJ said:
Joe, Did you ever ask how long the battery in the coil will last? The best answer I could get was 12 to 18 months of normal use! I could not get an answer as for normal use. Is that 8 hrs a week or 8 hrs a day? I heard that they are going to make it so you can charge or replace that battery by the user?
That would make it a great deal better. Sending the coil back in each time the battery goes dead would seem to be a hassle,and several weeks of loss of use.

The three Dēus batteries are identical.
The batteries for the wireless headphones and the remote control are easy to
replace as they are connected to the circuit with a mini-connector and double-sided :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :hello2: :read2:
adhesive tape.

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/uk_video.php?video=47&PHPSESSID=b61ba30c79f7b3c04bd4e76c1068e21c
 
Nice silver finds!
 
Nice goin' on those old silver coin finds, Dr. Joe :headbang:
Lorraine
 
Hey Doc nice finds! Sounds like you're having fun with the new toy!! Soon you will have it mastered!


SnT
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom