DFX - 1st Trip

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I upgraded to the DFX and went out with it today to a park and it was frustrating as can be.... ???
I realize it will take some time to get used to. Is there a program in the pro mode that eliminates the trash such as pull tabs & aluminum cans and concentrates on rings/jewelry, coins. I am interested in the old coins along with any jewelry. I haven't tried to make a program myself because I don't totally understand it all yet. I am sure I will get to that point eventually in time (hopefully), but is there such a thing as a program like that?
All I found was clad, pull tabs & junk. I also thought I would get some hits deeper than I actually did. Maybe they just were not there to be found. I used the factory settings which I was told were very good to start and I am sure they are. I kinda thought I would have better results than I did...but I am patient.
If anyone has any knowledge of the DFX, I sure would appreciate some feedback on this.

Frustrated in Louisiana.....lol.

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
Cool, glad to hear that you got a DFX. I got one just after Christmas and have really enjoyed it so far. As I said in a previous post, read everything you can find on the DFX and check out the DFX user site -- www.dfxonly.com -- for GREAT info. Good luck with your detector and detecting...

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
Also, I would suggest staying with the Coins and Jewelry program until you're more comfortable with custom changes or custom programs. Using that program, I've found items at eight inches in depth. Getting comfortable with all the feedback from the DFX is challenging but since it DOES have so much feedback for you, it will be your favorite detector very soon. Again, good luck with it...

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
These URL's might help...

http://www.dfxonly.com/forum/

http://www.findmall.com/list.php?28

The standard programs have the Preamp Gain set at 2...you might want to bump it to 3 or 4 for extra depth. You can also increase you AC sensitivity.

HH!
TBGO

Thanks for the information - By bumping up the preamp gain...does that effect anything else or take away from something else?

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron - Thanks to you too for the information. I checked out that site...it is pretty cool. I just have to get use to this machine.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lejeuene said:
The Beep Goes On said:

The standard programs have the Preamp Gain set at 2...you might want to bump it to 3 or 4 for extra depth. You can also increase you AC sensitivity.

HH!
TBGO

Thanks for the information - By bumping up the preamp gain...does that effect anything else or take away from something else?

Basically, it increases the power of the coil allowing it to go deeper. It doesn't take anything away. The only time you might want to reduce the preamp gain is if there is electromagnetic interference (power lines) or if the machine becomes unstable because of ground conditions. General rule of thumb is to set it high and back it down if necessary.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
lejeuene said:
The Beep Goes On said:

HH!
TBGO

Basically, it increases the power of the coil allowing it to go deeper. It doesn't take anything away. The only time you might want to reduce the preamp gain is if there is electromagnetic interference (power lines) or if the machine becomes unstable because of ground conditions. General rule of thumb is to set it high and back it down if necessary.

HH!
TBGO

Thanks - I think I will do this to get deeper targets. Why doesn't the factory set it higher if it better at detecting deeper targets?

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they set it at 2 because they don't know what conditions the user will be hunting in and they want the machine to be stable.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again TGBO. This is why I like this site so much...so many knowledgable folks here.

Can't wait to try it again.....raining today...... :(

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
TBGO is correct, Whites sets the program values to good, steady values so that when the standard programs are used, the machine will be stable. However, they give the user the ability to change any, or all, of the values to suit the needs and conditions of the user and the environment. Good luck with it, you'll enjoy it.

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
Also, you live in a great area for a detector. I used to live in Shreveport but was really amazed at the history in southern LA even though I didn't have a detector back then. I wonder how productive the river banks would be in and around the N.O. area? Are the public areas legal to search in? Or do you stick with private property? Good luck with everything and have fun.

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RonNewbie said:
Also, you live in a great area for a detector. I used to live in Shreveport but was really amazed at the history in southern LA even though I didn't have a detector back then. I wonder how productive the river banks would be in and around the N.O. area? Are the public areas legal to search in? Or do you stick with private property? Good luck with everything and have fun.

I go to parks and beaches mostly....but want to start hitting the old homes in the area....finding the owner is cumbersome sometimes. It just takes a little time and effort.

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
I've found it difficult, sometimes, to get an owner's permission to hunt... I think they're afraid I'm going to find tons of buried treasure and keep it for myself or something. But with the plantations in S. LA, all you need is permission to hunt on one and you should find a lot of great relics and coins. I'm anxious to hear what kind of luck you have, take care.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you have to realize with jewelry also is that it can cover a wide range of responses, from a +08 for a small thin 10K ring to a VDI of 40 or better for something heavy, and pretty much everything inbetween. Good luck with your DFX, I would not trade mine for anything (except maybe one with a screen that showed what the target was with such clarity you could see the mintmark on the coin!). Hey, if I am going to dream I am going to dream BIG!!! HH

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
You really got yourself a machine!
You must get "Digging Deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster.
It is really a must for the DFX - way better than the manual.
I've been using the DFX for 2 1/2 years and still don't know half it's potential.
Also see his posts on DFXonly.com.
The DFX is great on the beach and on dry land.
I love mine.
Get yourself a shooter coil for trashy areas - it will sniff out the good stuff!
Good Luck!

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies.......the more I read and advice/suggestions I get from the more knowledgable DFX owners the better I feel. This unit really has a tremendous amount of capabilities that will take me quite some time to master, but I am very excited about it.

I am for sure getting the Jeff Foster book. Many people have mentioned this is the one to get.

Sandman - Thanks my buddy!!!! ;)

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

Thanks for all of the help....ya'll are great...the Jeff Foster book is on the way.

It has gotten better. Still finding mainly clad & pull tabs but at least I have a feel for what I am digging....I kinda know what it will be when I dig it. I understand the rings fall in the same catagory as the pull tabs so I keep digging them SOB's hoping one day it will yield a ring....oh well....it's coming.....

Thanks again for the help/advice and suggestions.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried turning your tone id on yet? After you try it, I can about guarantee you will never want to hunt without it on!!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread