DFX for the beach?

I went to the beach about a month ago, and it was the first time I got to use my DFX on the beach. Was real pleased with the lack of false signals and the deeper targets I was able to locate. (didn't find anything good, but I had limited time and bad conditions) The DFX beach program was fine by itself without tinkering. I never went more than 4 or 5 minutes without digging a target. Can't wait till summer when I get to go for two weeks and really give it a workout. Been detecting for over 5 years and nothing else I've used picked up as many signals. Good luck -T

I have been using my DFX at a lake beach and have had absolutely no problems with it.

For salt water beaches, the DFX has a "Beach mode" with built in salt elimination, plus, it is a multiple freq. detector working on one or the other or both at the same time depending on how you set it to opperate, and it will work relatively fine. Is it the best machine for salt water beaches?? ? No...? ?It is better than a lot of other machines for use on salt water beaches though.

i used my dfx this past week in alabama....mine wouldnt ground balance on the sand....if i touched the coil to the sand, it would beep....found a little clad, but nothing in the jewelery department...got kinda discouraged, figured either i didnt know what i was doing, (since it was my first trip to a beach with the dfx) or there wasnt many targets...i have a bad feeling that i missed alot of good things there....tried two different coils, same results both times....just wouldnt ground balance, and gave alot of false signals too....maybe next time will be better...just my 2 cents worth..thnx for letting me whine.. :'(

rixdfx said:
i used my dfx this past week in alabama....mine wouldnt ground balance on the sand....if i touched the coil to the sand, it would beep....
I am over in NWFL. The sand is very similar to that in Gulf Shores, AL. My DFX has never ground balanced in the beach sand since I have had it the last 6 months. There just isn't any mineralization in the sand to balance out. I also do my ground balance over the wet sand. It appears to cut down on some of the false alarms. I have the factory coil and the DD1400. Both beep when they touch the sand.

I have just gotten a new book on the DFX and I'm going to the beach to try the information out.

Tony

It is normal for the DFX not to ground balance in the sand not enough mineralization to make it balance.
Mine works great on salt water beaches. You must run it in the best data two freqency mode to get it to work best at the beach. I use the normal coil and the DD 14 inch coil I think the DD is the best but it is way to heavy for me to hunt more than a few hours with. I have a bigfoot coil on order and hope to try it on the beach soon. it should be much lighter. It may not be the best detector for the beach but it it the best motion discrimination detector I have used on the beach and I have used several.

my dfx has not balanced at all on the beach also. I do get false readings until the machine starts to adapt to the beach. I still find stuff though

Lonewolf is right about the DFX on the beach. It can be used in some area fine and in others you have to play with the frequencys. At certain times of the day most detectors that are very sensitive like the DFX behave stranger than other days or times. The main thing you have to worry about using the DFX on the beach is salt spray and rough conditions.

Good Luck,
Sandman

I've used my DFX at the ocean a few times, both in and out of the water. It's great, no false signals like the other white's machines. Depth was outstanding. I wish White's would take the DFX and make it into a waterproof machine. Their Beachhunter ID is for me useless. As it has those annoying ID tones, and depth was lousy.

Whites Beach Hunter ID II worked fine at the beach, but in the water the none weighted coil had to be held down and the waves pushed it around like a ping pong ball. On land you hardly know it's there. But it is waterproof to 20 feet so water and sand won't mess up the guts. It's hard to manufacture one detector that works well at everything we want of them. This is why there are different types and styles.

Would you rather have just on tone beep, or more to id the target. Turn up discrimination to leave out iron and lose depth. Waste time on all those coins when you could only dig gold rings.

HH,
Sandman

I now use the DFX only at the beach right down to the water line. I use the Bigfoo coil and find lots of gold over 3oz last year. 15 of these were gold rings. ;D ;D ;D Is it the best detector for the beach. I do not know but I could get any one I want and I would use nothing but the DFX down to the water line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back