Diamonds

palmercanyonsavant

May 5, 2005
claremont So. call area
Detector(s) used
Garretts AT_PRO ,
if a diamond was found in the raw form in a dark green clay/rock how can you tell if it is or how are they sorted or is it 1 out of a 100 that would be good, I cant seem to get any info on grading these if they are diamonds or just plain frosty looking crystals that are clear on the inside.

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
get a piece of of glass find the best corner an try to scratch it if nothing falls off meaning fragments or pices off your rock then you may just have a diamond. (it doesnt count if you just toss it through a window.)

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
LOL and it dosent count if you use a sling shot in anger eather. where are these mossy diamonds you speak of? we have a "diamond mine" near my home. its really a white quarts dig em up yer self kinda place. but finding a quarts is fun. except for the blisters on the thumb and idex fingers from smashing rocks like a dang prisoner ll day in the blistering sun to find a tiny quarter inch ...... sorry. hands still hurt... LOL

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as I saw this post, I was going to post that link for that state park in Arkansas. Thanks for posting it though, ericwt! I plan on getting out there when I move back up to Missouri for college at the end of August. I'm excited because I've wanted to get out there for the past year or so...
:)

Bran <><

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
godisnum1: I think I am going to camp out there for about a week in September. Got some ideas on improving my chances.

There is an area close that you can find Cinnabar(natural Mercury).

ericwt

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ericwt, good call buddy! That would be an amazing spot to camp out at for a week! I'll be up there in September, but I doubt highly that I'd be able to stay for that long because my college classes will have already started. I actually want to get out there anyway sometime, in hopes of finding something that might be worthy of having cut and mounted on a ring. Just so when I get engaged, I can say that "I" found it... and didn't go to a store to buy like like millions of people do each year. Anyway... that's awesome! I hope you get some great finds out there!! I wasn't aware of there being places you can find Mercury up there either. I'm not that well versed on the compound, though I do know all of the things mercury is used for and in. Well, I've got to leave for work! Thanks for replying back... :)

Bran <><

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
fleamistress: Actually there was a amazing find within the last month. Don't remember how big it was.

Bran <><: The Cinnabar is in red crystals it is by a lake close to Murfreesboro. Pretty stuff. Not in the park though.

Good luck in your hunt for diamonds.

ericwt

lsnipan

Jun 13, 2006
I visited the "crater of diamonds" last week for the 4th of July. I did not find anything, but it was still fun. If you are thinking about going, I highly recommend that you read the book, "Genuine Diamonds in Arkansas" before you go (especially if you are traveling from another state just to go to the diamond mine). I bought it at a gift shop before I left. I have since read the entire thing, and am now very anxious to get back and try again. This book is a must have! Not only does it give you a very detailed history about the mine, there is some great information, great pictures, and very helpful tips. I have not read a book cover to cover since I was in college (and even then I was all about cliff notes ;), and I could not put this thing down. The guy who wrote it has practically spent his whole life hunting, and learning about the diamonds. It will really get ya motivated and is a great reference book. I will definitely have more confidence going into my next dig. You can purchase the book for $12 at www.diamondsinar.com .

Happy Hunting!
-L. Snipan

PS: It is VERY HOT in Arkansas this time of year, and there is NO SHADE on the field. It is also very helpful to hunt right after a good rain, which there is not a whole lot of right now. I am going to wait and go back in the fall!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread