What's new

Did I screw the teller?

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
2,078
Golden Thread
0
Location
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week one of my dump tellers said she had an old half dollar (that she found in the reject tray). She showed me a 1897 Barber, somewhat smooth, but can easily read the date, and good outline of head. The reverse is even smoother. She asked if it was worth anything. I told her, off the top of my head, three to three-fifty. I was thinking silver value. She asked me today where she could sell it. I said I was interested, how much. "Well, you said it was worth three-fifty." So, I gave her a ten and asked for change. She looked at me strangely and said, "you meant $3.50?" YEAH. Not $350.00. :laughing1: She sold it to me anyway. When I got home I looked it up in redbook, in G condition it's around $13. This one may be G or just a little less. It fits in my collection. :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
TooManyHobbies said:
Last week one of my dump tellers said she had an old half dollar (that she found in the reject tray). She showed me a 1897 Barber, somewhat smooth, but can easily read the date, and good outline of head. The reverse is even smoother. She asked if it was worth anything. I told her, off the top of my head, three to three-fifty. I was thinking silver value. She asked me today where she could sell it. I said I was interested, how much. "Well, you said it was worth three-fifty." So, I gave her a ten and asked for change. She looked at me strangely and said, "you meant $3.50?" YEAH. Not $350.00. :laughing1: She sold it to me anyway. When I got home I looked it up in redbook, in G condition it's around $13. This one may be G or just a little less. It fits in my collection. :laughing9:


Since she got it at face value, she still made a profit. Silver value would probably be closer to 5.50, but who's counting.

I probably would have instead said "it looks pretty smoothed out and is not in great shape, I will pay you 3.50 for it". That way, you were not misleading with the facts.

Are you sure it would be graded G. I have an gold 1882 cc $20 Liberty double eagle that was only graded Fair by PCGS and it sounds like it is in similar condition to your Barber.

Anyway, if she willingly accepted your offer I would not say you screwed her, at least not too badly. :wink:

Jim
 
If she was happy, no problem!
Nice pickup!
 
At my bank they are not ALLOWED to keep ANYTHING fromt eh reject box. They must either 1) throw it away, even if it is money or 2) give it to a customer for free. Not even face value.

I hvae gotten numerous foreign coins and a few wheats that way. PLus 1 silver dime that was rejected probably because of the silver. All from the reject box, and they would not even allow me to pay fae value for it. :-)
 
I dont see a problem. It was a worn coin - not a tough date or mintmark. Now if it were worth $ 1000.00 & you gave her $ 3.50, thats a screwin !!
 
TooManyHobbies said:
change. She looked at me strangely and said, "you meant $3.50?"
That is just doing business. Did the gas station give you a discount to go CRHing?

Actually that is what I always offer for junk silver, but I make it sound better. I offer $70 for ten dollars face value on 90%.
 
Only you can really know if you screwed the teller. Think hard, try to remember. Maybe you could ask her.
 
Lucky Jack said:
Only you can really know if you screwed the teller. Think hard, try to remember. Maybe you could ask her.
.......LOL.............. :icon_jokercolor:
 
Lucky Jack said:
Only you can really know if you screwed the teller. Think hard, try to remember. Maybe you could ask her.

Uhhhhhhhh.........NOPE. LMAO.
 
The fact is, based on OP's description of the coin, a typical dealer is only going to pay melt for that coin. Many dealers refuse to budge from their 7 to 8 times face. Therefore, the teller got a decent deal considering she didn't have to expend any time/gas to sell just one coin.

PS. Still laughing from Lucky Jack's post.
 
Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If you look in a book it can say a coin is worth %50, but if no one is willing to pay that, then it is worth less.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom