Did my son find a meteor?

Jul 26, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did my son find a meteor? - No, appears he didn't...

Hi from England.

Family and I were down on the English coast today looking for fossils and my son found what we though was a lump of rusty metal. We let him bring it home so we could google it but no luck. I think it might be a stone meteor but am obviously no more experienced at this that being able to google!

Details
Size: 14cm x 10cm x 7cm
Volume: 270ml water displaced
Weight: 2.2kg. It feels heavy for it's size so no like a normal rock. If my math is right that's about 8,000kg per m3

The outside of it i would describe as crystal/scales in appearance and the coulor is like graphite with orange on it. So a dark grey but kind of shiney and some of it looks like it rusted.

We put a strong magnetic near it but zero attraction so not a lump of iron.

A corner of the crust has been chipped and underneath it looks like stone but under a small magnifying glass it looks like fools gold.

Completely lost as to what this might be...any pointers would be great.

View attachment IMG_20200726_151919.jpg
View attachment IMG_20200726_152234.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert but look like one to me. Like I said, I am no expert so I may be wrong. Also, welcome to treasure net!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a meteorite. Probably basalt with hematite.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Y
Jul 26, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you - the description and pictures for basalt hematite do look like the lump of rock we now have sitting on our kitchen table.
thank you for that - son still happy as i said it's "a rock from a volcano".

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to suggest platy hematite. The hematite (an ore of iron), leaves a "platy" look in its crystalline structure sometimes. I wish I could remember all this stuff.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have to agree with Terry on this one. While your rock is clearly not a meteorite, having no visual characteristics of such, and nothing in your description indicating any. It does, however, have visual characteristics of hematite on basalt.

Time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions